Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

White T was Red T

409T

Staff member
Here are some pictures of the re-do of our old red T-bucket. I started this in January, just finished completely last weekend. Stripped the car bare, had the frame sandblasted, and then started painting and changing some parts. Took out the transverse rear leaf spring and put in motorcycle coil-overs with 80lb. springs on each, made a new trunk and put the tank in there, and just basically tidied everything up. The skull rear end is new, that was probably the most fun of the whole thing. I did do the upholstery myself, my first attempt so no laughing. The skull fabric is really bright, I just couldn't get it to come out that way in the photo. The plug wires are also very pink, they also don't quite look it here. I made it so that the fabric portions of the interior are easily removable which allows the fabric can be changed when it gets dirty or fades. To re-do the black naugahyde would require the normal amount of stripping and re-sewing.

The paint is three coats of gray-white base with two heavy coats of pearl over that and then 5 coats of clear. The flames are a pink that was custom made to match some flavor of nail polish (don't ask me what that was) with Panther Pink tips and lots of pink micro-flake. All PPG. The pearl makes the white look like it is textured, sort of like snow with a piece of glass laid gently on top. I wish I could get a picture of the textured look, it is really spectacular in the sun light.

The red car is the "before", obviously the white is the "after".

Jeff

Attachments

• _1659.jpg
    _1659.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 2442_R.jpg
    2442_R.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 2445_R.jpg
    2445_R.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 2411_R.jpg
    2411_R.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 2425_R_Blank.jpg
    2425_R_Blank.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 2423_R.jpg
    2423_R.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 2427__R_Blank.jpg
    2427__R_Blank.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 2436_R.jpg
    2436_R.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 2408_R.jpg
    2408_R.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 2450_R.jpg
    2450_R.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 212
One more. I should also mention that this is my wife's T-bucket, hence all the pink. I know, you thought it was mine.

Attachments

• 2431_R_Blank.jpg
    2431_R_Blank.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 58
Being that the last 101 Fun Run was my first, I didn't know the "players". I'm trying to put one and one together so after this post I'm guessing you built this for your wife/girlfriend? It was outstanding at the cruise and wasn't it also 1st place people's choice award? Your 409 powered T is more to my liking, but the people spoke and chose this T. Congrats on all of your fine builds. I was always impressed on how my friends 63 409 powered chevy, as heavy a car as it was, could be moved out so fast by that 409 and 4 speed. In 1963 I was still too young to be hot rodding, but my older sister's boyfriends had some hot cars. The hot cars of my genration were 1967 to 1970 396 powered Malibu and Nova, my girlfriend (from a wealthy family) got a new 1968 425hp 427 tri power Corvette 4 speed for her 16th birthday. That was a car I drove alot and can tell you that if you plan on driving barefoot, it better be a short drive otherwise you are going to cook your right foot.

Here are some pictures of the re-do of our old red T-bucket. I started this in January, just finished completely last weekend. Stripped the car bare, had the frame sandblasted, and then started painting and changing some parts. Took out the transverse rear leaf spring and put in motorcycle coil-overs with 80lb. springs on each, made a new trunk and put the tank in there, and just basically tidied everything up. The skull rear end is new, that was probably the most fun of the whole thing. I did do the upholstery myself, my first attempt so no laughing. The skull fabric is really bright, I just couldn't get it to come out that way in the photo. The plug wires are also very pink, they also don't quite look it here. I made it so that the fabric portions of the interior are easily removable which allows the fabric can be changed when it gets dirty or fades. To re-do the black naugahyde would require the normal amount of stripping and re-sewing.

The paint is three coats of gray-white base with two heavy coats of pearl over that and then 5 coats of clear. The flames are a pink that was custom made to match some flavor of nail polish (don't ask me what that was) with Panther Pink tips and lots of pink micro-flake. All PPG. The pearl makes the white look like it is textured, sort of like snow with a piece of glass laid gently on top. I wish I could get a picture of the textured look, it is really spectacular in the sun light.

The red car is the "before", obviously the white is the "after".

Jeff

Great job all-round. Everything matches and it works. Skull is brilliant and I guess will be the thing that people mention the most. Nice flames, just enough for the size of the Bucket.
Congrats on a job well done. I thought it was a girls ride, not that boys cant go with pink

Very cool rebuild, normally I don't like white cars but this one works. :thumb:

Very nice job, and I like the White and Pink together, GREAT for a Gal, I figured you did it for your Lady... I myself like to paint out all the inner parts of brackets, like your rear push bars, if the mounting to the frame part was Black also, that would make the bar itself look much cleaner, you don't want to see the bolt on part, try it, you will like it... Great flames also... :) PS, forgot to mention this, the front spring shackles are way too long, that can be a danger zone.. I would use stock short shackles and have the spring de-arched to flat, to keep it as low as you want... Just me here... :)

Very nice job, and I like the White and Pink together, GREAT for a Gal, I figured you did it for your Lady... I myself like to paint out all the inner parts of brackets, like your rear push bars, if the mounting to the frame part was Black also, that would make the bar itself look much cleaner, you don't want to see the bolt on part, try it, you will like it... Great flames also... :) PS, forgot to mention this, the front spring shackles are way too long, that can be a danger zone.. I would use stock short shackles and have the spring de-arched to flat, to keep it as low as you want... Just me here... :)

I like the part about painting the inner parts of the brackets. I'll put that on the list for this winter. As for the shackles, do you mean that too long will allow the front end too much sideways movement? Hadn't really thought about them as they have been on there for maybe 75,000 miles, but I realize that simply means that something bad just hasn't happened YET.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and for those of you who are thinking about painting your own cars, this one was done right on the front lawn. With flames and shadow there is a total of 17 coats and it still is as clean as it gets. Spray early in the morning when there is no wind, light coats - NO RUNS, and it doesn't hurt to turn off the sprinklers.

Jeff

Jeff, Yes the axle will swing on long shackles, push on the engine and watch to see how much side movement you get, just think of what would happen if you/She went over a big dip where it made the car fly, and pulled the shackle up past the point of no return, this has happened to me at least twice, same as doing a wheelie and the shocks let the axle go a little too far, does not happen except at a very odd time and place... check the side movement, and decide for your self... Drive safe :)

Heck Jeff,you have done one fantastic job of that Bucket and I wouldn't be scared of been seen enjoying driving it. I remember commenting on the diff paint job awhile ago and heck it certainly looks excellent with the rest of the car. Guys wear softer colour shirts and tie's these days so as I said, pink and white is such a refreshing change,love it. :thumb: :thumb:

I get to drive it plenty........... to the gas station and back. Thanks for the kind words.

Jeff

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back