Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Why to people buy bias-ply tires?

mikesplumbing

Is there any specific reason why people buy buy bias ply tires over the radials? I'm trying to do some layout on paper and working through some numbers trying to get a handle on the way things might fit-up before I do an actual mockup. In my search I noticed bias-ply tires are still being put on street rods. Why is this, I always held the belief radials are light years better. On my 67 Chevelle I had 3/8" redline Bias-plys on them years ago then made a switch to radials in about 1990 so I just can't seem to remember the difference except maybe a little smoother ride.

I noticed Don likes to use them, any reason why?

Thanks guys
Mike

I think the only reason to run bias tires is for "the look". I am building a lakes style Model T and I am going to run bias ply tires because there were no radials in the late 40's.

The only thing I remember from the old days is that they didn't recommend putting radials on older cars. It had something to do with the older suspensions and how they reacted to radials. The additional flex in the sidewalls of the radials increased the limits of the tire's cornering capabilities and the older suspensions weren't up to the task of handling the additonal side loads. I don't know if there is any validity to that or not. I put bias plies on mine because I wanted the big Mickey Thompsons. I don't remember if anyone offered radial tires in big sizes back in the mid-90s but I would probably bought the M/Ts anyway.

Looks:
To me, a T-Bucket ain't a T-Bucket unless it has big ole honkin' meats on the back. Something like M/T Sportsmans. And the tread need to be atleast a foot wide. Bias ply's just have the correct look.

Economics:
A 29x15.5-15 bias ply M/T will cost around $220. An M/T radial in the same size will cost round $290.

I had bias ply mickeysportsmans on the rear went to these 31x18x15
sportsman_sr_rear.jpg

And the handling improved greatly. I say radial. Unless you are going for the vintage look. Then go to coker tire.

I'll have to do some more research because I'm leaning towards the "Don's Rods look", but I have to say I love the big meats as well. Either way, thanks for the input. I just hate to buy a set of tires and end up regreting it.

Thanks again

Mike

It's strictly a look thing in my opinion. I still haven't found a radial tire, even Diamondbacks, that has the square old time look of bias plies. However, as I said in the other thread on this subject, for the first time in my life I am considering radials for my 23 simply so I can use it as my high speed interstate driver. I want to try radials on it and see if it improves the handling any. But on my 27 and my 29 I will still run bias plies for the look.

Don

These radials are coker classic they look pretty square yet.
FlemingsMay2008009.jpg

because right rear dirttrack tires are alot cheaper than DOT radial M/T's or Hoosiers or Cokers. ALOT CHEAPER. I do have little radials on front.

They are the only white wall tire that looks correct. The radial white walls just look funny, especially the wider they get.

New to the forum and only 34 years old but if I remember rightfrom reading the old hotrod mags of the 70's and 80's the radials give a better ride because of the extra support from the reinforsed side walls and hold a truer circle than the older bias ply tires.This in turn also give better gas milage and handling. Most people use the bias ply for the era perfect look.Some of the tire companies have radial tires in the old look of the bias ply for those who want the best of both worlds. just my 2 cents. 0=---o

Popeye said:
New to the forum and only 34 years old but if I remember rightfrom reading the old hotrod mags of the 70's and 80's the radials give a better ride because of the extra support from the reinforsed side walls and hold a truer circle than the older bias ply tires.This in turn also give better gas milage and handling. Most people use the bias ply for the era perfect look.Some of the tire companies have radial tires in the old look of the bias ply for those who want the best of both worlds. just my 2 cents. 0=---o

Due to the recession, two cents goes a lot farther these days. Soon we will be able to get a burger at McDonalds for that sum. LOL

Seems like good advice on the tires too. :rolleyes:

Popeye said:
Some of the tire companies have radial tires in the old look of the bias ply for those who want the best of both worlds. . 0=---o

They make radial white walls but they look nothing like the bias ply tires. They look just like a BFG radial T/A with a white wall slapped on the side. Just plain ugly IMO. Everything else you mentioned is correct in that the radial is far superior to a bias ply tire but they just don't have the look.

The picture that putz posted is the same tire I just installed. Replaced M/T bias ply with M/T radials. Much better ride and traction.

Alright guys......I read through your responses a few times and thought it over and I may regret it but i'm gonna go with bias plies because like you say it just has that certain look that radials just don't quite have. With a straight six for a powerplant I think the vintage looking tires would really look nice with this combination.

Now I need to figure out who makes the best quality bias plies out there in hot rod land and start determining height for the mock-up. Looks like the Cokers have the best reputations........any suggestions?

Mike

Well my Cokers definitely look good. My car still likes to jump around but I swapped out some radials the other day and it does the same crazy stuff every now and then. One thing I noticed is that it rides a lot better with the radials. I think my problem is in the wimpy steering rods or the shocks.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back