Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Widen the cowl

Retroboy

Hello
Let me start by saying I'm a chronic over planner. Seems foot space is at a premium in a lower car with an auto tranny. Has anybody sliced off the top off the cowl pushed out the sides say 3" or so then widened the top and slipped it back on?
Do ya get what I'm saying ?
Cheers
Tony

I really think it would be easier to cut the body length way and widen the whole thing. The best answer is one of the new extended bodies that RPM or Speedway has now. That would solve the whole problem.

I really think it would be easier to cut the body length way and widen the whole thing. The best answer is one of the new extended bodies that RPM or Speedway has now. That would solve the whole problem.
Yes a RPM or Speedway or is it K&S ? body would be one answer but I'm literally half a world away from you guys so it won't be happening. A lot of guys seem to lengthen in order to increase foot room and with the cowl off would be the ideal time again to slip a few inches into the side. So anyone else widened the cowl section? I was looking at the pics of Ex junks body - his son grafted a bigger cowl section on giving Jim additional length.
Cheers
Tony

I took a 8" stretched body the split the whole thing down the middle and widened it 6". Lots of room. I was able to get 2 bucket seats out of a Ford Lightening in it, complete with lumbar support. I did not wire up the seat heaters.

Oops I meant to say a spirit extended body, they look really good, if I wasn't so far into mine I would go with an extended body.

Check out ExJunk's T, he widened his out.

I have a 23T 8" extended body mounted on top of the frame, a 700R4 and size 8 1/2 shoes. Foot room is still tight ! If I were to do it again I would want a body about 6^ wider for comfort. I wanted to sit in the car so I had to use 15" wide Kirkey racing seats. I feel I"m wearing the car and since I haven't driven it yet I'll see how it works in the future. My wife says the right seat is a "little tight". If you want to sit high in the car and channel the frame, seat width is much less of a problem and foot room can be increased by using a smaller transmission (TH350 or Powerglide for example)

Al

I have 140 pictures at

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1216311041526.2034242.1041340788&l=f1cfed68e9&type=1.

But none show a good picture of the foot area so I'll add some soon. Right now I am in the process of wiring the project. That involves the use of a wiring kit, a 1997 Cavalier tilt steering column that slides 5 inches in and out from the dash and a 1988 Chevy van wiring harness to control the TBI.

The difference between bravery and foolishness is whether or not you get away with it and she doesn't read this forum.

Al

I took a 8" stretched body the split the whole thing down the middle and widened it 6". Lots of room. I was able to get 2 bucket seats out of a Ford Lightening in it, complete with lumbar support. I did not wire up the seat heaters.
Ron, I thought those seats looked familiar. Comfy aren't they.

Thanks for the reply's and pics. I've been away and unable to reply. I stumbled on a new and unused '27 body that is a couple of inches bigger all round taller/wider/longer. The 27's aren't as pretty as the '23's but It should be good. It's on road transport now from Sydney and I should have it some time next week.
Cheers
Tony

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back