Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Widened ''T" Body

Keith Bowman

I am 6'1'' 200 + and 18'' to 20'' wide hips&shoulders , My question is for those who have widened their Buckets and how much ? Did the car look proportionate(overall) length to width--i am planning to build a long chassis which may help my "T" still look OK with a wider body?
Thanks for your input,
Keith Bowman

My thought if you went no more than 2-2.5", only the trained eye would be able to see it. Might as well stretch it too for some more leg room while you are at it--for all your work and trouble.

We widened and lengthened our one 9". This sounds like a lot but we needed this much to get my son and I (6'2" 130kg)in the car with good supportive bucket type seats (we used Jaz). We chopped it round on photoshop first to see how it would look and put the 9" lengthen section behind the doors rather than lengthen the cowl. It looks fine. We glued the body onto a ply floor before the surgery and ended up with four quarters which we could move about on a flat floor to further confirm how it would look, infilled the floor sections with 9" ply strips to keep it all rigid, backed up the voids with corrflute from pillaged real estate signage and made with the chop strand mat and polyester resin.

I use the CCR stretch body and a 121" wheelbase; it looks good. You might start with that and widen it a bit. I'm 6-1, 260# and would like a few more inches width to get me and another lardass in it.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:762]

Man what does a skinny guy like you even need to widen the body for?? Go 3-5" longer for the much needed leg room but you will be fine with the width. I am 6' and a crushing 80# more then you. Sostan had a widened and stretched T and it looked "different" I thought. It was alright till we parked it next to my stock Total body then you could really see the differences. He was a member here but sold his car awhile back and hasn't been around since.

I got a picture from Sostan today to try and illustrate what a larger body looks like. Unfortunately it if from an angle but it is the only picture I have. Mine is the stock TP body on the right. The left has been stretched and widened.

IMG00029-20100927-1950.jpg

Jay, I never noticed before. However just looking at his pics on Facebook, it looks big. Kind of dwarfs the Hoosiers. Still a good looking car though. My bucket is stock length and width and at 6' 250# I fit good. If anything I' stretch it 2" in the body and 1 or 2 in the cowl.

Keith, down here in New Zealand theres about three size bodies available. And theres no manufacturers who make kits, so every bucket is pretty much different to the next one. I run the biggest body size and a blown BBC and 31.5 tall MTs and a 6 point cage as my bucket also goes down the quarter mile. The whole car dwarfs most other buckets, but its all in proportion and at 240 lbs and 6 ft 1 I fit in comfortably.

The key is to keep the proportions right. Or upsize to a 27 Tee body which seems to be far roomier

I am 6'1'' 200 + and 18'' to 20'' wide hips&shoulders , My question is for those who have widened their Buckets and how much ? Did the car look proportionate(overall) length to width--i am planning to build a long chassis which may help my "T" still look OK with a wider body?
Thanks for your input,
Keith Bowman

I own a body mold, stretched 18", widened 12", deepened 8", and channeled 7", removable floor mold, with a large separate bed mold. It was used two make two bodies for a motion picture in the early 90's. It needs a new home. Evidently, I still not smart enough to download photos yet.

Thanks for your input,
Keith Bowman

I have just what you need. A
'Monster T-Bucket Mold, stretched 18", widened 12", deepened 8", channeled 7". large bed mold, and floor mold. beast3.JPGbeast1.JPGMold Side-Shot.jpgMold Inside frt.jpg Was built for a motion picture in the early 90's.

That would be neat to see it next to a regular one. By dimensions it sounds huge but for big guys I bet it is comfy.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back