Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

wind shield glass

I drop the frame off at the glass co. and let them cut the piece to size and put it in. Also CCR frame.

Yes, I have the channel. The glass guy does not want to force the glass in with the rubber tape that came with the frame. He will cut the glass and let me know when it is done. I'll have to put the glass in.

If you've never handled glass before it can be a little frightening , make SURE that the edges are Completly clear of any imperfections [chips] , wear heavy gloves , force the glass into the channels , use a rubber hammer carefully , it's not that hard to do.
dave
again , examine the glass very carefully !!!
[ I think I'd get a different glass guy };)

Do you rap the rubber round the glass then push it into the channel or put the rubber in the channel and push the glass in? Is there and spray lube you can use to make it easier?

I've always wrapped it on the glass , held in place w/tape, I suppose you could use glass cleaner as a lube , wouldn't hurt anything...
dave

Yes, I have the channel. The glass guy does not want to force the glass in with the rubber tape that came with the frame. He will cut the glass and let me know when it is done. I'll have to put the glass in.
He won't put it in with black glazing instead of the rubber? I think mine were done with a butyl rubber type compound.

I'd find another glass shop.

The glass is already cut to size. So it looks like I'll do the installing. 2old2fast, how thick was the glass you used? I will look on the net. There must be some type of lubricant that can be or is used for this type of job.

1/4 " thick glass , I cut my channels 3/8 & used 1/16 " bicycle inner tube rubber. If the "tape" you have is rubber & not the tar impegnated cloth , then you could use silicone spray....I don't think it would be good to use silicone on the old style tape.
dave

Soapy water works and won't hurt anything, like dawn or similar. That's what I use to put rubber gasketet glass in. The bad part is it makes it slippery to hold too if it gets on your hands.

The channel is .315" wide. The rubber is .047" thick. The glass is .250" thick. There will be a compressed fit. I was thinking silicone spray but wanted to know if anyone has a better idea. Looking for options.

I never measured the rubber .....looked to be about the right size...still had to drive the glass in ...:thumbsup:
dave
your glass "should" be SLIGHTLY radiused at the corners ..NO sharp edges !!

It is meant to have a compression fit, I have never heard of anyone saying their glass shop would not install the glass in the frame before (we have a thinner glass tape if you have too many issues). The soap is the best bet for that combo of stuff you have.
Normally the tape goes on the glass, slice the glass tape so it stays flat on the corners instead of bunching up, soap it up and get the glass in the frame and then snug everything up. let things dry up a bit and trim the glass tape off carefully with a razor blade. Finish off with a bead of black silicone to keep things looking nice

Thanks. I totally for got about using soap for a lube. Some times old dogs need to be reminded of things they learn long ago. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

Just asking , you DO have all appropriate holes drilled/tapped in the windshield frame before you put the glass in , right ??
dave

Yep. All holes drilled and tapped. After the glass is in I will double check hole depth for screws to make sure none bottom out on the glass. I did this without the glass but I want to make sure.

Fletch, I was reading the post again and saw your last one. Soapy water. Sorry I didn't catch it the first time through. That everyone for your help.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back