Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield glass

skullman

I had my glass professionally installed in my windshield frames just a little over a year ago (6000+ miles) and it has been rattling like crazy for the last few weeks . . . especially when on roughs roads or going over railroad tracks. When I pulled the top frame the glass was so loose that if the caps hadn't been on the frame the glass would have fallen out. The glass in the lower windshield frame is just as loose. The glass was installed using felt tape and has flattened out over the last year. There has to be a better way of installing the glass. I would like to do it myself this time rather than pay another $75. Any suggestions

I lined my posts with a tarpaper type material and then used BETASEAL U-418 which is a quick cure primerless auto glass urethane adhesive that I got from an auto glass shop. I have over 12,000 miles on my car and have had the posts off my glass four times. I have absolutely NO looseness in my windshield. It is as tight now as it was when I first installed it.

Jim

I have the same old felt material in mine many years now, still tight, I don't care for any type of sticky stuff because it makes it much harder to take out when You want... To each his own... just don't let the edges touch metal, as it would be very easy to crack the glass that way...

I had my glass professionally installed in my windshield frames just a little over a year ago (6000+ miles) and it has been rattling like crazy for the last few weeks . . . especially when on roughs roads or going over railroad tracks. When I pulled the top frame the glass was so loose that if the caps hadn't been on the frame the glass would have fallen out. The glass in the lower windshield frame is just as loose. The glass was installed using felt tape and has flattened out over the last year. There has to be a better way of installing the glass. I would like to do it myself this time rather than pay another $75. Any suggestions
mine is installed with clear silicone on both sides

lay frame with glass installed on bench - run masking tape around frame and on glass, leaving 1/8" gap between frame and glass on each side. run bead of Betaseal around edge on each side, trowel and then remove tape wile wet - let dry overnight -install on car and forget.

Russ

I have the same old felt material in mine many years now, still tight, I don't care for any type of sticky stuff because it makes it much harder to take out when You want... To each his own... just don't let the edges touch metal, as it would be very easy to crack the glass that way...

Ted, the "sticky stuff" does not touch my windshield posts. It is on the glass only. That is why I have been able to remove my posts so many times. The reason that they were removed was for a couple of paint jobs and to get them chromed.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back