Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield Glass

k23t

I cracked my windshield (wind wing accident) and now I've disassembled it (2-piece) so I can have a replacement piece of glass made. Problem: I can't figure out how to search for a place that will make me a replacement piece. My head hurts looking through all the irrelevant links on Google. Any idea of a decent place in the eastern NH-MA area? The top corners are curved which might make it more difficult for some shops.

DSCF0953.jpg

BTW, my frame is 40" wide and 22" tall which has ruled out using an off the shelf replacement frame from anybody.

Oh, also, does anybody know where I can find some fill stock for the frame tubes? The pieces that are for mounting the windshield are only 1" long and fall down in the tube all the time (stupidest thing I've ever seen and why my windshield is cracked in the first place since I had to remove the windshield to get them back from the bottom of the tube - grrr.)

Mine was done a local auto glass company, where they cut and assembled it into the frame.

Almost any auto glass shop should be able to cut a new one for you.

For the nut plates , take a piece of 3/4 round about 8" long and split it lengthwise so you have two half round pieces. Use the hinge from the windshield to lay out the hole locations and drill and tap for 5/16 x 18 threads. Make sure the screws don't touch the glass when you tighten them.

Ron

Wow, I didn't expect responses so fast - thanks everybody.

There is a Safelight just a few miles from my work, I'll be visiting tomorrow at lunch.

Good ideas on the filler rods - I have some round stock, but I'll have to figure out how to mount it in my band saw.

k23t said:
Wow, I didn't expect responses so fast - thanks everybody.

There is a Safelight just a few miles from my work, I'll be visiting tomorrow at lunch.

Good ideas on the filler rods - I have some round stock, but I'll have to figure out how to mount it in my band saw.
Just go down to your local steel supply and buy 1/2 round stock, that is what I have used for years, and yes make them as long as will fit into your frame, I also use two pieces of glass, just in case you do get a crack, much easier and cheaper to do it that way... :ciao:

When I split it I tack it to a piece of 10ga. and cut it on a vertical saw.

Ron

Youngster said:
When I split it I tack it to a piece of 10ga. and cut it on a vertical saw.

Ron
Ron, why would you want to do all that work when it already comes in 1/2 round stock? Plus when you use 2 pieces of glass, it is much easier to assemble, install all the lower stock and glass, then slide the top half down over the 1/2 round stock (held in with the 5/16" allen studs) then install the rest of the top studs, hinges and snug everything up, being careful not to insert the studs to deep, as you don't want to crack your new glass, caus if it pushes in on the side of the glass (at all) it WILL crack. go slow, it is not that bad, if I can do it, so can YOU... :ciao:

Well, I went to Safelite and and they said "we don't cut glass, we just sell replacement windshields." Luckily I found a place just 500 yards from my work that will have me a piece of tinted windshield glass by tomorrow. :hb:

I found some 3/4 round stock and cut off 4" for the bottom pieces (that's all I need as I have the 8" pieces that tie the halves together) in the horizontal band saw. Then I found a vice with a horizontal V cut in it up high (how convenient) and clamped the bar in it. Then I mounted the vice in my horizontal saw, aligned along the center axis of the piece and watched it get sliced in half. I just had to flip the piece when it clamped onto the blade - but there was only about 1/16" material left at that point. I marked the slot locations, just have to drill and tap and I'm ready to remount the windshield tomorrow :)

Ted, by the time I drive 40 miles to the metal yard, find the piece i need and pay them $5 to cut a $1 piece, have something to eat and drive home, i coulda had it done and installed. I don't see any need to use 2 pieces of glass in a 14 to 16" windshield. Twice the cost for nothin.

Ron

Youngster said:
Ted, by the time I drive 40 miles to the metal yard, find the piece i need and pay them $5 to cut a $1 piece, have something to eat and drive home, i coulda had it done and installed. I don't see any need to use 2 pieces of glass in a 14 to 16" windshield. Twice the cost for nothin.

Ron
Well I forget that you live out in the boon docks (where I wish I also lived) in that case that is the best or easiest way for you to do it, but many do not have a good saw for that task.. and Yes with a short windshield one piece is the way to go, but I was thinking about the tall straight windshield, I like the older look myself, split with a rubber between the two glass panels, and much easier to assemble, plus it does not look so late model, almost like a Bay window, and A crack means a easier, cheaper fix.. That is all I was tinking about, how and why I do it that way... About the half round stock, new guys can get it along with other steel they need all at the same time, if they were thinking about it.. just me here... :lol:

Perhaps I didn't go far enough with my post. Ted has given you guys with the stock heigth windsheilds something to think about. His way of clazing the windshield is a good one and dose make sence in a lot of ways. Just two different schools of thought. I might add, if this is the windsheild you are using, take a look at the non-folding hinge Speedway offers. It will lend so much ragidity to the two pieces.

A word on shop tools. Ted made mention of "having a saw good enough to make this cut". The saw in my shop is a $119 unit i bought 26years ago from northern hydrolics.
I built a new base for it out of 1" square tubing 2 days after i bought it and it has served me tirelessly. The point is, for us hobbists, the cheaper tooling will meet the demands we put on them. You just need to beware of their limitations.

Ron

Well, I got the windshield today. Looks like any issues it had before are amplified as he used the old windshield as a template, but cut on the + side. The frame halves won't close on one side (same as before :( ), but this is without the setting tape :(

I wonder if the height can be trimmed a bit?

Hah! I just need 1/8"+ removed from the bottom of the windshield.

Edit - I was just reading about this and I should be able to score both sides and nibble off the 1/8" easily enough.

take it back and ask him what to do. Chances are he can sand it to size. Let him do it. This glass cracks when it gets hot.

Ron

Yeah, I could have him sand it or I could sand it - it's such a small amount that needs removing.

Have him do it. You already paid for it, he should be willing to sand it to size. If he cracks it then he should replace it.

Ron

Youngster wrote...take a look at the non-folding hinge Speedway offers. It will lend so much ragidity to the two pieces.
It does not matter if it is a solid hinge or not, as the steel half round stock goes full lenght from the bottom windshield to the top, just the posts have a short piece of half round... for adjustment, slotted holes in the frame covered by the brass hinges and the posts.. :rolleyes:

Point is i believe the non folding hinge has the top and bottom legs that the frames bolt to in line with each other for use with solid one piece glass like the one k23t is asking about. The stock T type hinge is offset so the top pane is lapping the bottom piece. I'm not sure how you can use a stock type hinge with a one piece insert.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back