Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield Height

TriodeLuvr

I just built a taller windshield frame to go with the straight posts I'm installing (the car had laybacks). My intent was to build a 20" frame, because I'll also be installing a cloth top that calls for that height. During the build, I goofed during one of the cuts, so I've ended up with a 19" frame instead. I'm sure I can still install the top, but I'm wondering if this will be too short for daily driving. The upper horizontal is only about 2" above my line of sight. Any opinions on this sort of thing? I need to have the glass cut next week if possible.

Jack

I like to have the top bar either high enough or low enough that I don't have to keep hopping up and down to see traffic lights.

Right, that was my exact concern - traffic lights. Once the top is on, I won't be able to see over the top of the frame. Maybe I should mount the frame on the car without glass and drive it a little. Not sure how else to decide. I guess with so many variables, there's no "standard" height that works for everyone.

You could always get one of those traffic light viewers that mount on the top of the dash....like the 40s & 50s cars wit sun visors used

In the Model A I am building there is no way I am going to be able to see traffic lights. To fix this I have thought about mounting a small camera, sort of like a rear view camera, in the front looking up and putting a very small color monitor in the dash or maybe in the overhead. I have no idea whether or not this will work, but of course I think it would be a great idea if someone else tried it first and let us know how it turned out. :)

i saw a car that had a strip window in the top at a car show a few years ago made out of the windows like on convertibles.

They're a couple kinds of traffic light viewers, some have a megnetic base while others are drill and bolt on. Once you get used to using one it makes driving a "short" car so much easier.

Attachments

• Hollywood's_56_Bel_Air_Traffic_Light_Viewer_back_450X338.jpg
    Hollywood's_56_Bel_Air_Traffic_Light_Viewer_back_450X338.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 443.jpg
    443.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 33

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back