Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield mounts

PeteT said:
Ah like this ?

555-26001F_L.jpg

Are these made from special shaped channel (can it be bought?) and what holds the screen in ?

Thanks
The tubing is channeled i asked Brian at Total performance about buying some and he said he would NOT sell me any.And he would not tell me the manufacturer either.But he did say that the stuff is made in New Yalk and is the original maker for Henrys cars.The glass(screen)is held in with a Winshield Setting Rubber from 3-M.

When I built the rpu I had to make the frame 'cause no one offered one that width. I cut a 1/2" slot in a piece of 7/8", 16ga. tubing and welded a length of 14ga., 1/2" square tubing in it. Grind the exposed side of the tube off and that's it. I had to shape the bottom to the cowl. There will be a 3/8" channel from the inside of the tubing. I cut a piece of 3/8" plywood to the shape of the cowl and used my dead blow to shape the frame. Worked out really good.

Ron

Youngster said:
That's a '26-7 frame. That would work but this is what I was talking about;

eBay Motors: MODEL T FORD WINDSHIELD FRAME (TEENS) (item 280239458738 end time Sep-21-08 19:41:14 PDT)

back to the picture you posted. The round caps in the center are screwed to the ends of the frame. The tabs on the caps hold the glass in the channel.

Ron

If only I could buy stuff like that (cheap!) in the UK, you are so lucky.

I like the idea of square box inside of round tubing, should give the screen plenty of support.

Rick, that's useful I thought I might struggle to get any channel.

I'll see what I can get my hands on

Thanks everyone

R.P.M. can make you a windsheld frame to what ever size you need after you get your post set nin place he does a real nice job all you have to do is a little sanding and polishing and you are done :rolleyes:

T windshields are typically available from TP or Speedway in 3 widths: 39 in, 39 5/8 in, and 40 1/2 in. Different bodies are different widths... If you don't know which windshield you need, get the corner posts first, clamp or tape them in place, and then measure the distance between them to see what you need. The aftermarket corner posts are pretty much the same regardless of the windshield width. About the only difference in the corner posts is whether you want straight or slanted, chrome or plain. Here is the installation of a TP Performer (slanted) windshield on my track roadster: Another build thread? Yep, my track-style T - Page 31 - Club Hot Rod Forums

Jim

Pete I'm curious. What would the shipping be for a frame like the one that i posted from e-bay?

Ron

Youngster said:
Pete I'm curious. What would the shipping be for a frame like the one that i posted from e-bay?

Ron

The guy is quoting $37 but I would probably get stung for import duty and tax as well. There is a guy near me who imports most of my bits at a real good rate, his just shipping me a rad I got from ebay.

I think it is similar to what I might need but might not be ideal. I think I'd rather spend some time to design and build my own probably in stainless. I've got access to a full workshop it's just the design ideas I struggle with sometimes... It has got to look just right, I think I'm getting fussy in my old age lol.

That's what I like about this site, there are so many cool ideas and you guys know how to fabricate bits so they look like works or art.

Another way to go would be to use 7/8" round aluminum and mill a slot for the glass. I usually just set my glass in silicone and add the caps.

Ron

I called TP the other day about windshield chanel/tubing and was quoted a price of $4.00 a foot.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back