Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

windshield post and the door

i searched in all the threads relating to post and doors but didn't find an answer. so here goes. i have about 6 sets of post and 3 complete windshield frames and post. they are all stock original ford. i have 3 glass '23 t bodies. now to my problem. none of these post clear the door revel when mounted. notice how the door revel line i drew intersects the post. it would be nearly impossible to cut out the door to make it open. now i know, each 'glass maker can change there buck when they make their mold, but i doubt anybody would make them shorter in this area. i have seen them longer though. i have seen aftermarket post that are shaped differently than these i have and i have also seen bodies that have these same post and their door opens. if 'glass bodies are made from original t bodies how did these work on them. all my bodies were not made by the same company either. i have acquired them over the years at shop meets and such.

it's the same thing. i only took this pic because the car is against the fence. the other bodies are stashed away in the shed. since these are original, i would assume they are cast steel and not brass, so i might have to cut them straight down and weld up one hole.

on the other hand, i think i will just cut it at the door and lengthen it about an inch and a half. that should give me plenty of room. as far as the door goes, i want to make a mold of this body so i can open the door.

From the mid 60's thru the mid 70's there were more people popping out bodies than you can imagine , obviously some were good at it - some not so much , seems you've gotten ahold of the latter ! If you want to go thru the time & expense you can make it right , be aware that f'glas supplies are no longer inexpensive .
dave

tell me about it 20ld2fast!! i am about to mold me a '27 ford body i have. everyday seems like i have to buy something else i didn't think about. i have lots of molds of grille shells and fenders and such. i even have a '23 t mold i bought, but it has a pickup box on it and i want just the body mold. i also want to build a mold of a '23 t altered body i have. i am not new to composite fabrication. did it for 36 years in aerospace, so cutting them up doesn't scare me. thanks for the replies.

If I was going to make a mold to produce bodies, I would make the body fit an easily attainable windshield post or supply the post that fits with the body and extend the body or move the door reveal to clear the post. If the body with the bed fits the w/s post, why not cut the bed off and just modify the plug? Just thinkin'. John

well, old round fart, i might just want to make one with a box on it someday too. i like having dedicated tools, so i don't have to do extra steps in the process. thanks for the replies.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back