Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield Posts

hulkamania said:
Spirit should have their posts either the beginning or middle of April. They are like Total's straight posts. We will have a few plain but mostly chrome. I will try and keep you updated.
I asked Bob if he wanted me to send a Total angled windshield post so you guys could repop them but he said pretty much no thanks.Oh well i tried to help.

I just finished mounting my posts this week so I guess I'm qualified to comment. I mounted my winshield straight up (parallel with the firewall). I think my project will look best that way as I'm trying to eliminate all of the weird angles that I see on many buckets. Like the body tilted forward, the engine tilted back and the frame at some angle in between.
I don't want mine to look like it is broken in the middle. But on to the windshield posts. The Speedway body that I have would mount the posts either straight up or slanted back, depending on how wide the windshield frame is. I made mine wider to go straight up. Used the old trick of filling the posts with body filler and attaching them to the body. I think my frame is about 14" but I'm not home so I can't measure. As far as I can tell they came out great.
Next topic, I haven't been able to get on this site for about a month. I was using my computer at work, but the site has been "black-listed". We don't have a computer at home. Today I am at my daughter's house, so I can use hers. I'll spend a little time on line, but not near enough. I miss you guys.

We will give you a pass on the pics for now. But if you dont post pics of your build soon we will just assume you are just pulling our leg. Just kidding of course but really post pics. WE Like um a lot!

rooster57 said:
If you build it right 140 on a straight glass will work just fine. Someone told me that i think no higher than 14 inches with out some support. I could be wrong about that . Without braggin mines is 14 inches. (Tall)

I know you don't have a top bar on your windshield but at 14" are you looking through the top edge of the glass? Where is your line of site? I set mine at 14" for mock up and it has be looking right through the top of the frame. I don't want to go any taller though as I don't want to use supports.

you could add another 4"to your windshied and a top bar without any problems or rods. the top frame pretty much diappears once you start driving your car.

Ron

Youngster said:
you could add another 4"to your windshied and a top bar without any problems or rods. the top frame pretty much diappears once you start driving your car.

Ron

Thanks, I can't decide if I want to do a short windshield with no top bar or cut my frame and do a little bigger of one for some comfort. Does a taller windshield make that much difference?

Went for ride yesterday temp was 40F I think my 20" windshield helped quite a bit no frost bite. Ended only going 9 miles no hat or gloves.Also if you get caught in the rain something to hide behind.

putz said:
Went for ride yesterday temp was 40F I think my 20" windshield helped quite a bit no frost bite. Ended only going 9 miles no hat or gloves.Also if you get caught in the rain something to hide behind.

Where can I find some pics of your car, I'd like to see the windshield. Thanks

Just a thought from the West, :) I myself really think a T needs the look of the Windshield brace rods, besides they do a ton of work. Just want to save you from a broken mount or frame, that wind is plenty strong, don not think anyone of us could hold it with our arms, as we would fly away :) like the flying Nun.

Ted their are only a hand full of us that knows who and what the fling Nun was . (Sally Field) . I was watching an episode of My Classic Car and this guy had a truck with a phone number on the boom. The host (Dennis Gauge) had to ask what the phone number ment it was BR549. Junior was roling over in his grave.

trust and okie to bring he haw into the discussion
:lol::rofl::rofl:

Here is an idea that one of the Cowtown guys used on this for a windshield post. Just a piece of 1" aluminum round bar stock that we milled a groove in for the glass. The post slide down into a piece of tubing that is welded to a frame work under the dash for supporting the steering column. The glass is a rectangle and enters a board that had a slot dado cut on the edge and is shaped and molded into the body. Cheap, clean, effective! The car has a lot of miles on it and no problems.

DSCN1100.jpg

Did you notice anything unusual in the picture?

Check this idea out!

DSCN1099.jpg

Most people don't even notice it standing right in front of it....when they are closed.

DSCN1098.jpg

Thanks George that has some real nice detail to it.He has aton of work in that and its a beuty

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back