Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield Questions

GAB

Is the standard thickness for flat automotive windshields 1/4"? If so, how wide is the groove for the glass to fit in? Do most installers use the cement type of bedding for the glass to set in, or is the treated material type still used. Building a frame for mine and I'm unsure about the dimensions of the groove. Milled them 5/16" but can open them up if needed be.

I cut my channel 3/8 inch. The glass shop loaded it with black pookie and set the glass. It gives it a very small amount of flex. 18,000 miles so far with out any problems except..... The glass laminate separating on one side of the top edge. No fault of the mounting.

Here is a good link with pics from this forum.Hope this helps.
My link

Is the standard thickness for flat automotive windshields 1/4"? If so, how wide is the groove for the glass to fit in? Do most installers use the cement type of bedding for the glass to set in, or is the treated material type still used. Building a frame for mine and I'm unsure about the dimensions of the groove. Milled them 5/16" but can open them up if needed be.
George, Yes the glass channel is 3/8" as close as I can see, I always use the treated material myself, that way if there ever is a problem and the glass needs to be changed, it is an easy task.. That material comes in thick = 1/16" and thinner for some reason, some frames may have a tighter grove or a bit thicker double glass, with safety bonding in the center...

3/8" it shall be. I shouldn't have been in such a hurry to indicate in the head on the mill. Thanks for the info!

WindshieldFrame.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back