Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield thickness

Tad Palmer

I am working on a Windshield frame ,1" alumuminum bar stock how wide does the slot for glass have to be? How thick is glass Thanks.

I'd call your local glass shop that you will be using and ask them how wide to leave the slot for the glass plus any gasket they will be using. It would be a bear to finish your windshield and then have them not be able to slide them into place.

Don

My "Smoothie" '27 style posts from Total Performance have a 3/8" slot that accepts a gasket and a 7/32" glass.

I have Spirit 2 piece frame. Traditional style which came from Total Performance. The outside measurement of frame is 39 5/8". The height is 10'. Inside the frame measures 38 5/8' wide. the height is 9 3/8". Channel width is 3/8". The channel depth is 3/16". I had glass cut to 38 3/16 x 9 1/4. Hope this helps.

I pasted this post from another forum question before. The glass is 14in thick lamenated safety glass used for windshields. I can't remember what the glass rating is but I think it's AS-1 and never use AS-2 it will shatter into a million little sharp pieces.

Tad Palmer said:
I am working on a Windshield frame ,1" alumuminum bar stock how wide does the slot for glass have to be? How thick is glass Thanks.

Depends on how you want to mount the glass. I called my glass shop and they preferred to glue it in like current model vehicles, which allowed me to weld the 1" aluminum solid round stock in all four corners, making it stronger. I then had a machine shop mill a recess around the inside of the frame, leaving a recess (cut a notch less than 1/4 of the Diameter). If this isn't clear, let me know and I'll take a few pics for you.

I made my frame also and i cut a 5/16 slot and will have the glass guy use the glue to install the 1/4 glass.

View attachment 1155

View attachment 1156

View attachment 1157

View attachment 1158

It may be hard to see. If these don't give you a good idea, I can take some specific pictures tonight.
Sos

Humidi-T said:
Depends on how you want to mount the glass. I called my glass shop and they preferred to glue it in like current model vehicles, which allowed me to weld the 1" aluminum solid round stock in all four corners, making it stronger. I then had a machine shop mill a recess around the inside of the frame, leaving a recess (cut a notch less than 1/4 of the Diameter). If this isn't clear, let me know and I'll take a few pics for you.

Iam replacing a windshield using the glue method. Question? Should I apply glue inside of channel or to the glass and slide into channel?

Thanks!

Hey kcfatdawg any new pics it has been since December. We know you have a windshield.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back