Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield thoughts. Yea, I need opinions again.

tfeverfred

Okay, I have long ago decided on the 14" windshield. That won't change. What I need now are opinions on slanted back or straight up. I"m leaning (no pun intended) toward straight up. My T Bucket has a little retro theme going and a chopped, straight windshield would really keep the look going. However my concern is with wind resistance. Will it bow at high speeds? Will I need braces (they will not look right for the theme I'm shooting for) if I go with a straight 14" windshield?

The slanted looks good and wind resistance would be significantly less than the straight up. It won't have the "look" I'm after, but would it be safer?

Slowing me done is not a worry. A 14" windshield is not likely to matter as far as top speed goes. heck, I doubt I'll ever get it fast enough that I wish the windshield was slanted back.

Well, there you go. Tell me your thoughts, opinions and experiences with chopped windshields.

Fred... take a look at the windsheild on the 105'' build in my gallery. That one is chopped 5'' or 6''. A stock one is about 21'' tall. That makes the one in the pictures 15'' or 16'' tall. All I did was to 'glass a 3/4'' piece of wood inside the body and used a 3 x 2 inch piece of 10ga. between the nuts and the wood. That car has been on the road for 16 years with no problems. I just bought two upper frames off e-bay for $26 including shipping. I can usually find the mounts at swap meets for $10 each. The glazer Iuse charges me $40 to cut and install the glass. So you can see the windsheild can come together for about$75 or $80 bucks. Alittle sanding and or filling, a $5 rattle can with some self etching primer and you're ready for the road.

Very nice height. I had heard the glass could bow, but I think a wrap around frame would eliminate that problem. I sure like the chopped down look and it would fit the theme I have going. A tall windshield is out of the question for what I'm after.

As always, thanks for the input!:D Where would us newbies be without you guys?

Fred, this is just my opinion,the taller windshield just gives you that protection of anything hitting you. I like to a little lower than windshield cause I wear a hat most of the time otherwise I would be stopping and fetching it all the time. Plus I don't know what your doing for mirrows.

tbucketlar said:
Fred, this is just my opinion,the taller windshield just gives you that protection of anything hitting you. I like to a little lower than windshield cause I wear a hat most of the time otherwise I would be stopping and fetching it all the time. Plus I don't know what your doing for mirrows.

I mocked up a 14" straight windshield and the top of it will be just above eye level. The slanted 14" would be about chin level. The wind really doesn't bother me. I just have a preference for the look of the straight windshield right now. It's knowing whether or not the glass will leave the frame at 65 MPH that is a concern.:eek: I'm not really worried about hats yet either. I think I'll like the wind blowing around my scalp!:D

:lol:It's all about looking good!:D

cruisin0002.jpg

Fred,
I have the slanted Total Performance windshield on my car and the fiberglass insert for seating. I don't have upholstery yet so I sit fairly low. I'am about 5' 11''. With this configuration I can usually wear a cap and haven't lost one yet. I have a two inch gel/foam seat bottom I throw in sometimes and it sits me up just a little higher than the winshield . Since it is slanted It still seems to kick the air up over my head. Most turbulence seems to come from the sides but wind wings would help there maybe. I have about 425 miles on my car so I don't have a whole lot of experience with these things. Used to ride motorcycles a lot so it't no biggie. Havin too much fun! Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Dale

WDP said:
Fred,
I have the slanted Total Performance windshield on my car and the fiberglass insert for seating. I don't have upholstery yet so I sit fairly low. I'am about 5' 11''. With this configuration I can usually wear a cap and haven't lost one yet. I have a two inch gel/foam seat bottom I throw in sometimes and it sits me up just a little higher than the winshield . Since it is slanted It still seems to kick the air up over my head. Most turbulence seems to come from the sides but wind wings would help there maybe. I have about 425 miles on my car so I don't have a whole lot of experience with these things. Used to ride motorcycles a lot so it't no biggie. Havin too much fun! Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Dale

Yes, it does help a lot. Thanks!

Fred I have to say at 6'1" I profer a tall wind sheild at high speed the wind comes in from all over and no possible way to wear a hat to the front or i will lose it. Just remember we dont wear helmits or goggoles normaly. I have inserted a photo for comparison.

I have to tell you... I've seen a picture of you and this is one heck of a good likeness!

cruisin0002.jpg

a properly glazed 14 inch windshield in a full frame can easily be be straight up and will not have an issue 65 or even 80... not even close. 100 or more? I'd angle it! oh yea... as tall as your are with a windshield that short... get some good glasses or goggles! :D

With a straight up windshield, would I still need the side braces?

If the bracket that hold the windsheild are installed securely, there should be no reason for side rods. The post on NTBA on windsheild installation is excellent. Follow that and you shouldn't have any problems.

Well, just about the time I had decided that a straight up windshield would be more "old school" than a slanted back one, I find a side view of the Isky T Bucket. I guess I'll just flip a darn coin. Gee, decisions, decisions.:welcome:

Isky_T.jpg

Fred is there anyone nearby that has a slanted and short windsheild that would take you for a ride to see if you really like one over the other and for functionability.

No. There is one NTBA member who is not far away, but he has the regular tall windshield. Mikey, the member who sold me the body, has two buckets, but they too have the tall windshield. Looks like I'm winging it on my own.

I mocked up both and the straight up would give me more protection from the wind. Not much, but a little. Probably not enough to even be a factor.

I'm leaning towards the straight up, but my gut says slanted. There's a pun in there, but it's not intended.:welcome:

Like I responded earlyer at 6'1" the top of my wind sheild hits me at eye level and for more protection I end up slumping back just a little bit and that gives me all that I need with out the top. Good Luck Joe

C'mon guys i think were putting WAY to much thought into the winshield deal.You are going to be in the wind no matter unless you go the tall T windshield.I personally like the feel of the wind in my face at 60-70 mph with the rumble of the engine in my ears.No better feeling if ya want out of the wind get a MINI VAN.

Rick said:
C'mon guys i think were putting WAY to much thought into the winshield deal.You are going to be in the wind no matter unless you go the tall T windshield.I personally like the feel of the wind in my face at 60-70 mph with the rumble of the engine in my ears.No better feeling if ya want out of the wind get a MINI VAN.

:eek:Yer right, Rick. I sometimes I forget to remove the logic from these cars.:eek:
So, straight up, plain, no chrome.

I'll also start a bug collection.:welcome:

tfeverfred said:
:eek:Yer right, Rick. I sometimes I forget to remove the logic from these cars.:eek:
So, straight up, plain, no chrome.

I'll also start a bug collection.:welcome:
Think about the p;ain verses chrome posts the plain come really rough and you will be sanding and grinding alot to get them smooth.

Rick said:
Think about the p;ain verses chrome posts the plain come really rough and you will be sanding and grinding alot to get them smooth.

Good advice. I wasn't sure how they looked. Thanks.:welcome:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back