Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield thoughts. Yea, I need opinions again.

Fred go to Totals Gallery and check out Tim Steeds car thats what your car will look like with the straight windershield.

Hey Joe, I like that rack on your pickup bed. I'm assuming it's to tie on a suit case for a little trip. I like the idea.

thomas:)

Hay Thomas the rack was made from S/S tubing and hand railing supports for a boat.
They can be found at any Boat US or West Marine store. Not sure if I 'm going to keep it we will see once I start re-doing the paint and interior. That should start after putting the big fattys on the rear.

Fred.. here's a thought. Look at the picture of Isky's T that you posted. The windshield posts he used are of the '25 type and are chopped a few inches. They are the long ones that have the pivot at the top for the top frame. This type already has a rake built into it. It's not as much of an angle, but you could easily increase that if you wanted to but simply cutting the post and leaning it back a little more. There was a set on e-bay last week that sold for fifty some bucks. Just a thought.

Ron

We used a TP Performer windshield on my Kid's T, and it shields him pretty well going down the road. I built the one for my T out of the upper half of some unknown windshield frame, and it is really low, so I get lots of fresh air. :D No problem though, but I have to wear sunglasses all the time, even at night. I did the same in my '27 for the 7 years I drove it, so I have no problem with that. Even at 70 mph on the interstate it is fine, but your neck muscles get a little tired after a few hours of holding your head against the wind.

That's the price I pay for wanting it low though. :eek:

Don

Thanks for the input, Don. Yup, yours is low.:eek:

Interesting that this thread got reborn, I was just "test driving" again today and had a thought. Yea, AGAIN. See, it's not the wind blowing in my face that was the issue, it was whether or not a straight up windshield would get so much force on it at speed, that it would blow through the frame and smash my handsome mug.

So, has anyone noticed the glass bowing in a straight up windshield? I'm talking about a 14" straight up windshield. Now, my build is taking shape and pleasing me in the direction it is going. It has a semi racey look that I kind of like. That being said, I think a laid back windshield would maybe fit the look more or not. Cosmeticaly, the straight up would go better with the height of my steering wheel.

So, is a straight up less stable than a laid back at speed or is there little or no difference?

butch27 said:
Mine is only laid back about 5 degrees. The more you lay it back the less interior room.

I made a mock up last week and that was the first thing I noticed. It made me feel like my head was going to hit it!:D But from the side, it didn't look that bad.

The straight up one seems to give a "chopped down, ready to race" look and I kind of like that. As long as I'm confident that the glass won't blow out or recieve excess stress, I'll probably go with a straight one. Like all ways, I thank all of you for your input. I also appoligise if it seems like I'm over thinking this. I just don't have the money to have to redo something like this, so research and advice are my two best friends in these last stages toward being road ready.

Don't think you'll need to be concerned with the glass blowing in if you adopt this style ...
Skc5Kr7bOzTT0NuqzUaLtl2BxLoClSPoV8FpijtWYLq2cHUx8j8tIb10_WlrD01oT-Iokbo7DJNObesiHg9U5X-9WGBkN0eSx1hsvs_C5V4

:lol:Yea, but I'll have to ride around brushing my teeth from the bugs flying into my mouth!:beer:

Look at the picture of Isky's roadster in post #13. Those are '24 or '25 posts. The bottom windsheild frame sits inside the stock T post and the top frame swivels. Here Ed removed the top part of the post and used the bottom frame. These have a slight rake to them in stock form, but can be raked more.

Ron

LRS30 said:
So who makes a good lay back style??? or what Stantions should I look for?

Total P makes them, as well as CCR. They look good and looking at Isky's T, they all may have the same rake. They a little cost more than straight, of course.

I was looking at mine today and daydreaming. Another advantage of the straight maybe the illusion that there is more room in my car. Not that it matters, it was just an observation.

YblockT said:
Don't think you'll need to be concerned with the glass blowing in if you adopt this style ...
Skc5Kr7bOzTT0NuqzUaLtl2BxLoClSPoV8FpijtWYLq2cHUx8j8tIb10_WlrD01oT-Iokbo7DJNObesiHg9U5X-9WGBkN0eSx1hsvs_C5V4

That windshield matches the one on my bike :D

56cf.jpg

:lol:Bruce, that's no winshield! That's barely a place to put stickers!:D

But it looks good. :lol:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back