Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield thoughts. Yea, I need opinions again.

LRS30 said:
Sometimes you have to put fashion in front of function..... I like the shorties on baggers..

I agree. They give them a great look.

LRS30 said:
Sometimes you have to put fashion in front of function..... I like the shorties on baggers..

I love my bagger, but I can't stand having a windshield.

Um, I have a slantback windshield, and its basically non functional ! Would I rather have a Two piece tall windshield..YES. Unless I have eye glasses on, no matter what I do I cannot keep driving.. just to much wind and dust...brings tears to my eyes and such...there is a reason why most people have straight up windshields....
unless, of course your car is only going to sit like the ISKY car

Depends how tall are you?If your over 5ft8in your out of luck unless your seat is really low.At5-8 your eyes will be even with the top of the windershield.Also youll have to go to straight posts for maximum height.

Figure 10 in.per glass high plus 1/2 in for the inset in the tubing for a standard windershield.Now get real creative and take two Total Performer windershields thats 14in per glass now your up in the air.Hope this helps

Rick gave the key to this question. It depends on the heigth of your seat. If you are sitting on a seat that is 6" or more, you are going to be in the airstream with a 10" windshield. If your seat is 3" high, it will drop you enough to look thru that same windshield. The fix for the tall seat riser is a taller windshield. No ifs or ands about it.

A stock T windshield is around 21" tall. if you take 7" out of the frames, you will have a 14" windsheild. That's what we did with a Total T for a 6'1" driver. he now has the protection he wanted.

Ron

What I have found out is that at 14" and straight up, my windshield not only looks good, but is very functional. The total height of my seat riser (without foam) is just a hair over 6". I have holes cut in the seat bottom and webbing, so it probably drops me an inch or so making the height about 5" which is still higher than the recommended 4'. I am 6'3" tall and when I drive the wind goes over my head. I found this out in my first attempt at wearing a baseball cap to protect my head from the sun. Even at highway speeds, the wind didn't blow my cap off. I drove my T for about a week before attempting to wear a hat because I just knew it would blow off. What happened was, I gave my sister in law a ride and she refused to remove her cap. So, in an attempt to teach a lesson and get a laugh, I sped up. I looked over and her hat was in place. That is when the light bulb in my head went off and I wear a cap with no worries.

Another thing to consider is that as air moves over the top of a convertible, it rolls over the rear of the car and buffets forward. Next time you see a person with long hair driving a convertible, note that thier hair moves forward towards the front of the car.

So, the 14" windshield, mounted straight up, is perfect. Even if you are tall and your seat is set higher than most. In my opinion, if I had gone with the slanted back windshield, that 1 - 2" you lose due to the slant, would have been just enough to cause me minor trouble, but trouble none the less. I'll never know unless I go slanted and I have no plans to.

My main concern was whether or not the glass would bow and possibly pop out of the frame while driving fast. I have noted no bowing at all.

14" on a straight up windshield seems to be the way to go. You get the "chopper" look and it still functions as a windscreen. Slanted back, you will get wind, but I dont think it would be unbearable. With a 10" windshield, I have a feeling you may as well not have a windshield at all.

I'm 6 foot and made an exact copy of Totals seat and have the 14 inch performer windshield with the Aniversary body.Bony legs and all this is where i sit with my back hunched over.
Picture053Large.jpg

if you laugh at the legs god will get you.:D

last time I saw legs like that......they were attached to a chicken:eek::lol::shifty::sorry::laff::laff:

now......wheres that lightning????

Vance

I was told the reason for slanting the windshield back is yo cut down on glare at night.

Turbo-T said:
I was told the reason for slanting the windshield back is yo cut down on glare at night.

I have not noticed any glare at night from oncoming traffic or with a jerk sitting on my butt at a light. But then, my windshield actually faces forward a few degrees due to the rack of the car.

tfeverfred said:
I have not noticed any glare at night from oncoming traffic or with a jerk sitting on my butt at a light. But then, my windshield actually faces forward a few degrees due to the rack of the car.

Dark roads at night especially when curving to the right is terrible in my car... all I see is headlights of the cars behind me!

Tim the Toolman Taylor has a slightly leaned back after suffering an imploded windshield whilst travelling twice beyond the legal limit of speed on a backroad in Texas.

A slightly leaned back windshield makes a difference. Mine's 8" - 10" tall and vertical.

2322952602_1832962b2e_o.jpg

Yes that's SNOW on the ground. Iit's 98 degrees in Memphis right now and I wish it was cooler, so a chilly pic was in order... plus it shows my windshield so it's ON TOPIC!!! Yeah!

I'm diggin' the "patina" action!:lol:

Fred, that paint job cost me less than $25, including tax, the paint brushes, even the rattle can and tape I used for the 7 on the doors.

AND it's REAL rust, not a faux finish... painted on rust, but real rust.

Had it like this for a couple of years now and about ready for something different now that the wealthy street rodders are driving rusty cars also.

I should start sticking stickers all over it, wait... been done... dangit.

Coupefreak said:
last time I saw legs like that......they were attached to a chicken:eek::lol::shifty::lol::laff::lol:

now......wheres that lightning????

Vance

Hey, maybe thats where the other guys "Tweety Bird" logo came from...Bony bird legs....LOL :razz: "BH"

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back