Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Windshield Wiper Mounting

TriodeLuvr

Has anyone found a good way to mount a windshield wiper motor into the cowl on these cars? I really don't want to mount one on the windshield frame in my build.

Jack

How often do you think that you'll ever need to use a wiper? In my case I figured seldom if ever and I chose to make a temporary mount. It also allowed me to pass my Safety 23 Inspection with the NSRA.

Jim

Rain-X is the best wiper system for buckets. In the rain you get almost as much on the inside of the glass as you do the outside. John

That's why I put rear "1/4 fenders" on mine , now in the rain , as long as it's not a downpour , we can run along dry AND can see !!!
dave

Wipers? On a bucket? Would one ride a Harley with training wheels? Bucketeers are hard core, we deliver the goods in rain, sleet and snow, and...excuse me, the nurse said it's time for my nap.

Some states require a wiper to pass inspection in some cases. A clamp-on wiper is a good idea in case you run across this requirement.

Some states require a wiper to pass inspection in some cases. A clamp-on wiper is a good idea in case you run across this requirement.

The ONLY time that I've used that clamp on wiper was to pass the NSRA Safety 23. Other than that I've driven in quite a few rain storms without it with no problem.

Jim

Last edited:
That's why I put rear "1/4 fenders" on mine , now in the rain , as long as it's not a downpour , we can run along dry AND can see !!!
dave

I got stuck driving down 100 yds of wet road last week, and the back tires rooster-tailed all over me. The only thing that kept the muddy mess off the motor was the inside of the windshield. If you have any tips on installing fenders, I'm all ears. Do you also use a wiper, or just the fenders? Is there a photo of your car online somewhere?

Jack

Back to your original ? .. I think the reason no one mounts thru the cowl is the angles , without making an "eyebrow" to get perpendicular to windshield , I don't know how you'd do it ??
dave

Yeah, I have both wiper & fenders . In the lounge under How to post pic..... scroll thru all the pic info , my car's the white one ..
dave

I got stuck driving down 100 yds of wet road last week, and the back tires rooster-tailed all over me. The only thing that kept the muddy mess off the motor was the inside of the windshield. If you have any tips on installing fenders, I'm all ears. Do you also use a wiper, or just the fenders? Is there a photo of your car online somewhere?

Jack

Here are some shots of how a friend of mine did his fenders.

Here are the other shots.

I hope that these pictures will help give you some ideas.

Jim

Jim, Are those LED lights under the front fenders? I saw some in the Honda place yesterday and the 3 bulb lights looked like they made good light in the show room, but are they good enough for headlight replacement? I have my doubts. It sure cleans up the front end.

Nice car, Dave! Those must be older pics - no fenders in those photos. I see your wiper motor is at the top. I like that method, but I'll be adding a removable top in a few weeks. I don't think I can mount a motor up there.

EDIT: Just saw your e-mail, looking forward to seeing the newer pics!

Thanks for the photos Jim, that's very helpful. Is it reasonable to buy fiberglass fenders from Speedway for a project like this? I haven't seen them for sale anywhere else. Guess I'll need to find someone local who can fabricate brackets for me.

Jack

Last edited:
Jim, Are those LED lights under the front fenders? I saw some in the Honda place yesterday and the 3 bulb lights looked like they made good light in the show room, but are they good enough for headlight replacement? I have my doubts. It sure cleans up the front end.

You know, I've never paid much attention to his lights because I don't personally care for them but I can tell you that they do emit PLENTY of light on the road.

Jim

If you use steel fenders you won't have to put up w/those annoying "stars" that rocks make... to mount your top w/the wiper mounted on top , use a thicker header board & channel the wiper into the board ....
dave

If you use steel fenders you won't have to put up w/those annoying "stars" that rocks make... to mount your top w/the wiper mounted on top , use a thicker header board & channel the wiper into the board ....
dave

I'll definitely use steel for the rears, probably fabricate them just like yours. I'd really like to find some aluminum fenders for the front to minimize weight. Most are diamond tread, but I think I've located a source for smooth aluminum fenders in smaller sizes.

Thanks for everyone's help with this!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back