Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Winshield frame questions

raidmagic

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I have a windshield frame but no windshield. Is this a common piece? I see them on buckets all the time. Can I just buy the glass from somewhere or do I have to get it made? How about the weather stripping?
Also is it an easy task to fold it in half when the hardware is cleaned up and working right? I've included some pictures.

Thanks

wsf.jpg

wsf1.jpg

did you want it to fold or do you want a one piece windshield??

Ron

I can't tell you what you SHOULD do, only talk about what I do, You can do as you like.. I have found over the years that it is a very good practice to leave off the clips in the center of the frames... Buy yourself a strip of 1/2 round steel stock, only a couple of feet are needed.. measure from the bottom of the lower frame to just where the top frame starts to curve.. that is a good length to cut the half round stock, one for each side. Now with the frames laying on a table, frames touching each other in the center, hold the stock along side to make just where the bolt holes should be drilled and tapped, at 5/16" course thread.. if the stock holes do not line up with the hinges now, without the clips, thats OK, just long gate those holes with a file or air grinder, be careful as the metal is thin and you can wreck the whole thing if you are not real careful here... Use 5/16: X 1" allen studs to screw into the stock, inside the frames, same goes for the posts, if the 1" are too long at the hinges, use 3/4" length. then add the hinges and use 5/16 lock washers and either Brass dome nuts, or steel dome nuts to tighten everything together... I like the windshield glass to be 2 pieces, looks original and an older look, not a bay window look. Any Ford parts obsolete should carry the h rubber for the center strip, and the glass shop uses a thick felt/tar type of material to keep the glass from touching the steel frame, as that would crack the glass right away... Why the half round stock?? to make the frame one piece in a way, as the wind has a lot more power than you could hold with only the hinges, OK for 30 MPH, but that is all, now use a good set of brace rods, to the frame, from the hinge area, mounted in rubber at the frame, and you will be stylin, ready for the freeway.. :) the hinges just look like they will fold, but will not... Just me here... Happy cruzin...

Youngster said:
did you want it to fold or do you want a one piece windshield??

Ron
I don't know. I really can't think of a good reason to fold it. It seems that I would want it to be one piece but I'm not sure I like the big one piece glass look.
Ted Brown has a good idea about locking it together. I guess my next step is get it all cleaned up and finished then go talk to a glass guy.
Ted if the clips are removed how do you hold the two pieces of glass in the center? Do you have a picture of one done this way?

raidmagic said:
I don't know. I really can't think of a good reason to fold it. It seems that I would want it to be one piece but I'm not sure I like the big one piece glass look.
Ted Brown has a good idea about locking it together. I guess my next step is get it all cleaned up and finished then go talk to a glass guy.
Ted if the clips are removed how do you hold the two pieces of glass in the center? Do you have a picture of one done this way?
Like he said Speedway has an "h" rubber chanel that goes between the glass pieces.After you get the glass installed by a dealer like Glass Doctor or something like that.Then the half round goes inside the frame sides to stiffen it so it wont bend again.But you'll need the support rods to the frame or headlight stands to suport it.1/4 in rod works fine but in stainless then polished.

as ted said..this is what i do.

the stock wind sheild has 21" of glass. with the way i do my seat, 14" works well for me. the top of the frame is about forehead heigth.

1.) i take 2" off the top frame and 5" off the bottom frame.

2.) there is a half round insert that the hinge bolts to. use one of those and redrill one hole in the bottom frame to joint the two frames.

3.) now use a piece of cardboard to make a pattern for your glass. have the glass cut. around here the glass and having it cut runs $40 to $50 depending on if you have a round or square top frame.

4.) if the frame isn't plated. i give the frame channel a moderate coat of epoxy primer.

5.) set the glass in the lower channel with glazer points made from felt. place the points at 5 locations in each frame. cut the felt long enough to tape the ends to the glass.

6.) slide the top frame into place and bolt it to the bottom frame.

7.) check to see the that the glass is centered in the channel. trim the felt with a sharp razor blde below the channel.

8.) to seal the glass i use black silicone caulking from Lowel's. squeeze it in and wipe the excess off. and there's your wind shield.

Ron

Hey does anyone know a source for that little cap between the WS sections that can be purchased in chrome. It sets on the frame and is pinched to help hold the glass in the center.

speedway part no. 916-56182 in ss.....

Ron

Thanks Ron you are a walking parts catalog HAHA

Those end caps are only in the way and tend to hold the glass farther apart in the center, you need nothing to hold the glass in place except the outside frame, and you NEED a full piece of the black felt type material all around the glass, as if you don't, your chances of the glass cracking from touching metal are very great now, .. no need for any messy black goooo anywhere, as the fely material is trimed with a razor blade and all looks great, very easy and no mess.. just look at the pics of my windshield to see how it all goes together, and to have the windshield shorter than it is, would be very uncomfortable as far as all the miles I have on, with the windshield both on and off and tall and short.. Just me, after all these years, that is one thing I would not change... tried it all over the years, I like comfort, even if it is a T Bucket. :)

Very interresting i was gona goo mine in > Where do you get the felt material. I milled a 5/16 slot for my glass is a 32nd enough on each side for the felt. My plan was to install a flat bead in the slot and let it set mabye a 1/16 then set the glass and goo around it . Give me your thoughts oh great one.

rooster57 said:
Very interresting i was gona goo mine in > Where do you get the felt material. I milled a 5/16 slot for my glass is a 32nd enough on each side for the felt. My plan was to install a flat bead in the slot and let it set mabye a 1/16 then set the glass and goo around it . Give me your thoughts oh great one.
Well now, Great one, I guess you have to have your fun, that's OK with me.. :) well I think the glass shop MAY have real thin material, the stock windshield frames are 3/8" slot, as that material looks like 1/16th thick, let me go look I believe I have some, should take a pic of it and all the windshield inner workings.. I have broken my share of frames over the years, and I HATE that... as they are not fun to fix... Flex does the trick to the frames, as that is some thin crap, to tell you the truth.
Any chance you can (now) have that frame slot cut wider? but! if they do have the thin stuff, you just may be in business.. now I will say that a lot of glass shops will use the gooooo.... just why I do not know, who cares if it is water tight??? not me, about the same for a boat windshield.. daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Just to keep it away from touching the metal, the easiest way to crack the glass, I know I said this before, but this is very important, otherwise you can spend a ton of money replacing glass... I HATE THAT!!! :cry: :eek: PS, all the glass panels I had made to ship out years ago, cost $8 each, round or square... the GOOD old Days...

Yes my comment is suppose to be fun and cause a smile not a frown. I was standing over this thing when i cut it and thought should it be 5/16 or 3/8 and for some reason using the goo 5/16 seem to make more sense at the time. I did speak to a glass guy and he suggested some thin plastic/vinyl that slides on the edge and then when set you trim the plastic/ Vinyl. I have never been able to find such a thing on line. So i settled for the goo idea so far. I need to have the glass cut and install it . I guess i have been waiting for something and this must be it. Thanks for the help Ted.

the reason i use the "goo" is to make this area water tight. as ted pointed out, the windsheild frame is some thin stuff. i prefer to use stock frames when i can find them and they almost alway have at least surface rust that needs to be cleaned up. the "goo" and the felt has served me well over the years. as ted says ... that's just me!

Ron

This is my frame i made and the little topper i machined for the, well ,top.

Rooster all is very much fun here,:) Thanks I just want you to not have to go through all that I have already gone through, as it is costly and no fun to fix things once thought finished, and changing a windshiled glass after a crack, is sooo much easier if you can take those beautiful caps off, and just pull the glass out, and YES You are in luck, I did find that material and posted a pic on myspace, here everything seems to be to big a file?? even when only 640.. seems crazy to me... But when I was looking at it, I did remember that they do have the thinner stuff, so you are in luck my Friend, the 5/16 gap should work perfect, make sure you have a piece of that material between the glass and that cap. Are you going to tap both the frame and the cap to mount the cap top the frame? useing a 3/16"X3/4 or1/2"" course allen set screw??...or? :cry:

Rooster those look cool, nice work. So is there nothing holding the top of the glass for your windshield?

Ted i think he was refering to the glass being open on the top . Yes its open and the little alum turned caps will keep the ws in the slot and i will have the top edge polished.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back