Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Winter is coming :-(

Nice iajjpop!:thumbsup: Wish I could have. I spent the day helping the wife get the Christmas decorations down from the attic. :(

45 degrees last Thursday. ,got bucket out for 5 mile ride.i try to get 1 ride in a month . If weather is to cold , I jack it up and let run. I went to 12 car show last year. I have had it since 2004.runs good and has been reliable . And I enjoy it.

For the last three years I have started a list while summer is still going. Then I have
something to look at when it gets cold enough out, usually around Nov 1st for me.

From 2015-16 List
Replace headers with something different of my own design made from stainless.

Additions For Winter 2019-2020
New dash from the Paduck wood that I bought several years ago.
Fix water and oil leak around the water pump/timing cover.
Have Gerald Brand Racing fix the header studs.
Brace radiator to headlight stanchions using holes in the radiator shell.
Re-pack front wheel bearings.
Replace oil pan with one that has more ground clearance, but still holds 7-8 quarts.
Watch out on the Paduck wood, it suntans; turns brown when exposed to sunlight. So do cherry and redheart. You can slow the process down by using a heavy coating of spar-urethane or other coating with a UV inhibitor.

I a
Watch out on the Paduck wood, it suntans; turns brown when exposed to sunlight. So do cherry and redheart. You can slow the process down by using a heavy coating of spar-urethane or other coating with a UV inhibitor.
I already have the Padauk wood. I see what you are saying, did some research and it does
turn a darker reddish brown.

African Padauk | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)

Don't know if it will help, but it's been in the attic now for several years, so not much sunlight
up there. But that won't be the case when it's in the car. I will just have to do what I can with
a varnish.

Preventing Color Changes in Exotic Woods | The Wood Database

Thanks for the heads-up !

I a

I already have the Padauk wood. I see what you are saying, did some research and it does
turn a darker reddish brown.

African Padauk | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)

Don't know if it will help, but it's been in the attic now for several years, so not much sunlight
up there. But that won't be the case when it's in the car. I will just have to do what I can with
a varnish.

Preventing Color Changes in Exotic Woods | The Wood Database

Thanks for the heads-up !
I totally understand. Had similar experience when remodeling our old farm house and trying to match the chestnut trim... it drove me nuts at first, but it’s just character. The oil that they used back 8n the day also darkens as it oxidizes. Your finish selection is an important one.

What would you recommend?
I decided to use poly urethane after realizing that the linseed oil oxidizes and turns dark, but I can attest that it dries out and flakes off. Perhaps there is a newer, higher quality product that will withstand moisture and uv rays, but I am not aware of anything specific. Fine furniture is finished with various oils, but it isn’t intended for direct uv exposure. I honestly don’t know of a good product to recommend.

I decided to use poly urethane after realizing that the linseed oil oxidizes and turns dark, but I can attest that it dries out and flakes off. Perhaps there is a newer, higher quality product that will withstand moisture and uv rays, but I am not aware of anything specific. Fine furniture is finished with various oils, but it isn’t intended for direct uv exposure. I honestly don’t know of a good product to recommend.
I would suggest looking into marine varnish or oils, but there are various options.

I found this when I bought the wood several years ago.

Finishing Exotic and Tropical Hardwoods | The Wood Database

A quote from the link above.

Shellac is your friend
Shellac makes an excellent sanding sealer and intermediate coat between bare wood or stains/colorants and the final topcoat(s). There’s an adage among woodworkers about shellac that may not even overstate its usefulness as a wood finishing agent:

Shellac sticks to everything, and everything sticks to shellac.

This is as close to a silver bullet as woodworkers are going to get. Simply apply a few coats of dewaxed shellac to seal the antioxidants in the wood, and then apply the topcoat of your choice. For particularly oily woods, two to three coats may be necessary to ensure that there is no interference with the heartwood extractives below.

Known problematic woods
Below is a non-exhaustive list of woods that have heartwood extractives that tend to interfere with the curing process of oil-based finishes.

• Padauk
  • Blackwood, African
  • Bloodwood
  • Bocote
  • Cedar, Eastern Red
  • Cocobolo
  • Cumaru
  • Ebony
  • Goncalo Alves
  • Ipe
  • Katalox
  • Kingwood
  • Lignum Vitae

Last edited:
I mentioned spar-urethane, it seems to be about as good as anything else available. Do a google search for "spar urethane".. If you aren't you aren't completely stuck on Paduak, you could try something like birdseye maple with a red dye (not stain). Modern stains and dyes don't fade or suntan nearly as bad a realwoods.

I have wondered lately, if I wanted a wood grain look, I should have checked out some of the Pergo flooring.

I mentioned spar-urethane, it seems to be about as good as anything else available. Do a google search for "spar urethane".
Thanks for the info Flyer !

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back