Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Winter

Johnny

Well, it looks like it's gonna get too cold here in Texas to go riding in the hot rod. What do you all put in your fuel tank while it's sitting for a couple of months?

Thanks

I use a couple options. If I have any canned VP or Sunoco, I try to have a high percentage of it. My road use gasoline sometimes has ethanol in it, which I counter with a shot of Stabil. I am running a Holley carb and have not had gumming issues yet.

We have a fuel distribution location that sells ethanol free gas by the gallon. Right before storage I do a 50/50 mix of that and Sunoco standard all the way to the top with the proper amount of Lucas fuel stabilizer.

Once I'm ready to go again I go back to the normal 2:1 fuel mixture.

I just fill everything up with premium and add a little fuel treatment. My thought is to prevent condensation. I used to drain the carbs, but with the addition of ethanol, I noticed they seem to corrode if they aren't full. Jmo, no science other than experience.

I store mine...turn on the electric pump now and then to keep the carb full.

Little story...I need to use a snowblower up this way. The thing sits all summer.
EVERY fall I used to have carb issues and usually would have to take the thing apart and spend an hour cleaning it up to get it to work properly again.
Then I bought the one I have now.
It doesn't have a petcock to turn off the fuel so the gravity feed keeps the carb full at all times.
In 5 years I have never ever had to touch the carb!
Change the oil, top up the tank and away she goes.

As far as fuel issues go, I'm convinced now that the biggest problem is letting the fuel evaporate out of the carb.
A wet carb is a happy carb! LoL

I used to just fill the tank all the way up. An old motorcycle guy told me that. Also my tractor and snowblower sit when there out of season. Both have plastic tanks. When I shut them down I pull the choke out and let them die. I leave the choke out. I never use stabil. A small engine guy told me to never use that stuff. I run 93 in all my power equipment. Never a problem. The snowblower sits 9 months the tractor 5 or six. Had them both since 2001.

Premium gas and I start it and let idle for a few minutes every 2 weeks or so. I don't tolerate cold very well but here in North Texas I sometimes get a warm weather break and take it out for a bit.

This is what boaters use, all year round and when the season is over. I'm in Houston, where humidity and condensation can make it rain in a gas tank.

It's Tfeverfred approved.

Star Tron||Enzyme Fuel Treatment

I'm up in northern Illinois, it's 3 degrees right now. I add sta-bil to the tank, fill the tank and drive the car around for a while before hooking up the battery tender and putting it up for the winter.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back