Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

wire front wheels

itsed2

Iv seen in the older t,s the frount wire wheels ,, but not much any more , im just at the start of a build , and would like to know wht it takes to do the wire wheels and spendals , and can you use cycle wheels , thaks

Iv seen in the older t,s the frount wire wheels ,, but not much any more , im just at the start of a build , and would like to know wht it takes to do the wire wheels and spendals , and can you use cycle wheels , thaks
Wire wheels have to be bigger to be strong enough for car use... Motorcycle wheels are not put under the same kind of side stress as a car does to any wheel.. they lean in a corner and do not push the wheel sideways.. Hope I said that clear enough for you to understand... Wire wheels are great for show, but not that great for street driving, get 12 or 10 spoke Alum. wheels for that open look, they work great... I have run them for over 20 years... But I did test a set of wire wheels for performance Machine many years ago, used to watch the spokes flex in hard corners... :)

Teds got that right.
My fronts use Dunolp rims with made for the car hubs and much bigger S Steel spokes than a MC would use. Yep Ive heard you can see them flex in corners from a number of people. Also be very careful choosing tyres, check the speed rating, load rating and max pressure they will take if you are going for spokes on the front. Its easy to choose a tyre that look good and find out its only rated for a motorized scooter.

Oh and by the way its not just the OLD T that have them.LOL
Gerry

I say listen to the voices of experience on this one. I have wire wheels on my bucket and although the car looks fantastic with them I personally don't trust them . . . and have plans to change them at some point in the future. My bucket is an everyday driver and I have kept them up to now because I work at home and live in a small town in a rural community so I don't do that much high speed highway driving. If I go to town it is usually to pick something up that won't fit in the bucket so I take my truck. There is also the issue of the front brakes and they leave a lot to be desired.

I had the old halibrand wires on mine and first and bought a set of replacement as well... I was constantly breaking spokes! I then ordered the Dayton wire wheel specifically made for a ford spindle... strong as hell... no problems... and I run Metzler "Rear" motorcycle tires on them.. this setup works well but let me also say... it ain't a budget item! Those wheels where sold by total performance and they got bought by Speedway motors... looks to me like they've gone with a different wheel now and looks to be a little cheaper price...

I actually tried to get the radir 12 spoke rim but after 6 months of waiting for production at the time,
12spokeSML.JPG

I had to move the project forward and ordered the Dayton wires from Total Performance...

If you do consider 12 spoke Radir's, I bought a set a year ago and only had to wait 3 weeks so maybe they have been able to build their inventory. On second thought, that doesn't sound typical though, does it?

Jeff

A lot of "right on" replys on this one from all the guys and Jeff (409T) knows how to put together a real classy ride. The only opinion I can add is last year when looking at a lot of T's for sale I did notice the ones with small wire wheels and motorcycle tires had bald spots. I'm guessing it was caused from wheel lock up under heavy brakeing. As you know, taking weight transfer into account, about 70% of stopping is done by the front tires and with the small contact patch of motorcycle tires, flat spots on the tire will happen.

Bob

A lot of "right on" replys on this one from all the guys and Jeff (409T) knows how to put together a real classy ride. The only opinion I can add is last year when looking at a lot of T's for sale I did notice the ones with small wire wheels and motorcycle tires had bald spots. I'm guessing it was caused from wheel lock up under heavy brakeing. As you know, taking weight transfer into account, about 70% of stopping is done by the front tires and with the small contact patch of motorcycle tires, flat spots on the tire will happen.

Bob
I would have to say (JMHO) that the flat spots were caused by balance, or lack of it... Most people do not know how to balance wire wheels and tires... :)

Bob

This is why i have gone with a dual circuit and a balance bar set up. To get them all braking at once but without locking up fronts or rears first.

Hi
I have motorcycle wheels with 120's and tiny Airheart Hurst calipers and rotors on ford spindles and have considered installing GM 11 inch rotors etc
looking to find more weight on front and a more positive feeling while driving. Hard to match the look of those wires, will keep both around for the old switch when I aint got nothing to do.
Ken
This is why i have gone with a dual circuit and a balance bar set up. To get them all braking at once but without locking up fronts or rears first.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back