Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Wire Wheels

mikesplumbing

Hey guys, hope all is well

Any advice on finding vintage wire wheels for a decent price. As you all know I'm going for the vintage look and wire wheels would really look nice. I looked around and the prices are very high, and I may just have to use the steel rims. I like the steel a lot but I just thought the wire wheels would really have that unique look.

Anyone know of the best place to get them for a decent deal?

Mike

Mike,

I often see them at swap meets. I know the season is winding down for car shows and the swap meets that usually accompany them, but there still might be a few left in your area.

The Hamb has a pretty active classified section as well. Also, don't forget Craig's List. It never ceases to amaze me what comes through on Craig's List.

David

My brother scored 5 very nice '35 Ford Budd wheels on Craig'slist for $100 and the guy delived them 40 miles on a trip thru Dales town.

I would suggest the 16" '35 rims. That will give you the best tire selection.

Ron

mikesplumbing said:
Hey guys, hope all is well

Any advice on finding vintage wire wheels for a decent price. As you all know I'm going for the vintage look and wire wheels would really look nice. I looked around and the prices are very high, and I may just have to use the steel rims. I like the steel a lot but I just thought the wire wheels would really have that unique look.

Anyone know of the best place to get them for a decent deal?

Mike

How are the roads where you live? I know a lot of guys who switched from wire wheels because they were always having to have them trued due to rough roads.

Yes......swap meets are a good source...........Look on craigs list also.........

Chack out the nostalgia sections, parts for sale etc on the rod sights.......
Go to Jalopy Journal......and look under parts for sale..........

They're all over the place and you can kinda shop around.........

GT63 has a point.......but if your gonna cruise slow.......thats fine..............rough roads are a problem and the suspension.......you'll have to ask the guys thats been here a while..........I'm still building mine and will be for a while.........but alot of the guys say they can ride harsh and that would be a bad thing with true spoke wheels.............

I bet Ted, BlownT or Ron have some input on spoke wheels.........

You guys brought up some great points. In Wisconsin the roads can be pretty rough at times, Putz can attest to that:D

It's tough to beat the steel smoothies, and the price is right also. The wire wheels have such a nice look but I don't want to be adjusting the spokes because of a bad decision. I'm gonna give that some thought and keep my eyes peeled on the forums and auction sites in the mean time.

Thanks for the great tips

Mike

If I remember correctly, the Ford wire rims have the spokes welded and please remember they were designed and used in a time when rough roads were the rule.

John

Thats some good info OFJ.......Wire wheels are outside my area of expertise, I don't know squat about wire wheels except they have a rpm limit which causes them to be unstable.......let me reprase that......they tend to fly apart, and when a funny car or dragster would wheelie...............you could count on trashed front wheels.....thats why they're not run one those cars anymore..........

Nothing looks better in-my-opinion that skinny spool spoke wheels on the front of a T..................:lol:

Ford used at least 3 wheel manufactures from '35 to '40. Yes they where offered as an option all the way thru '40. if a car was ordered with them between '36 and '40, it was basicly the '35 Ford set-up.
Budd is the most common. It had welded spokes. Kelsey-Hayes are the most desirable and command a good price. They are adjustable.
As far as durablity goes, most secondary roads where little more than cow paths before Ike got in office and created a nation wide hiway system. I wouldn't hesitate to run any of these wheels.
There are enough of them floating around to be picky about the ones you buy. Also remember these wheels will need tubes.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back