Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Won't Start

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Man, This thing is driving me crazy.

Other then the oil level problem.
Got everthing back togother.
Started it and it started and ran for about a min and half.
Now it won't start again.

Oil pressure: good
Fuel pressure: at 4 psi, tryed changing it lower and higher.
Has spark.
Carb is clean.

It started fine before the rebuild. Just ran like poo poo.
For the min and half it did run, sounded awesome and clean.

What type of ignition system are you using HEI ?

What type of ignition system are you using HEI ?

Yes. HEI

I check the timing earlier. Dis. points at 1 when at TDC.
I forgot to look when I was there. Maybe have my plugs off by one on the Dis.
But not sure why it started in the first place.
I'll check again tomorrow.

Chris, do this with the switch off. take your air cleaner off, hold the choke plate open with one hand, while looking down into the carb past the choke plate use your other hand to quickly blip the throttle to wide open. You should see two separate steady squirts of gas coming out of some nozzles in there. If you see this you have fuel in the carb. I'm looking to the carb cause it sounded like your previous issues fell back to carb/fuel issues. If you have an electric choke the wire going to it needs to be "hot" when you have your switch in the run position. Your choke will need to be checked for adjustment as well as adjusting the idle mix screws when it is up and running. If the people who rebuilt your engine didn't test run it. It is probably static timed and this too will need to be set once it is up and going. Let me know what you come up with or give me a call I'll try to walk you through it or I can come up and lend you a hand.

Are you using that same carb from the old motor? All you need for the motor to run is:
1. turn it over at a decent speed
2. To simplify, fuel/compression/spark....

Do as Ron suggested....if it just stopped....look at the electrical. And if the dist. is a older one, don't think for a minute it couldn't be a pickup/ coil, if the spark has gone away and you have power to the dist. Make sure that plug where it plugs into the dist. has the little plastic clip that allows it to 'snap' into place. It seems alot of chevys and Pontiacs were pron to this small cheap problem that allowed motors to stop....I've seen seasoned mechanics shove that plug up in there only to have it fall back out after a little running or just back out enough not to make good contact....

Are you using that same carb from the old motor? All you need for the motor to run is:
1. turn it over at a decent speed
2. To simplify, fuel/compression/spark....

Do as Ron suggested....if it just stopped....look at the electrical. And if the dist. is a older one, don't think for a minute it couldn't be a pickup/ coil, if the spark has gone away and you have power to the dist. Make sure that plug where it plugs into the dist. has the little plastic clip that allows it to 'snap' into place. It seems alot of chevys and Pontiacs were pron to this small cheap problem that allowed motors to stop....I've seen seasoned mechanics shove that plug up in there only to have it fall back out after a little running or just back out enough not to make good contact....

BTDT I've also seen where the wires going to the pickup coil are broken inside the insulation.

THAT TOO!!!! :thumb:

I've also seen their ignition modules do some strange things and still check good on a module tester.

LOL, Guess what. Figured it out.
Damn fuel pressure regulator is clogged or something. Was letting some gas by, and gave a reading on the pressure gauge. I took it out and starts just fine.

NEW problem. After idling for about 3 min, it heats up to 190+.
New water pump.
Maybe the thermostat?

Might have some air trapped in one of the heads....pop the bubble, so-to-speak.....

You know, before you get this car running good, your gonna be a first rate mechanic!!! :hoist:

If that isn't it, make sure your timing is as it should be....and go from there....

Well oino, let me just say this....3 minutes and you get to 190???? YOU GOT A PROBLEM!!!! :jawdrop: :wow: I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Timing is wwwaaaaay out, water pump isn't pumping at all, like....lost the impellar...., head gasket has covered some water holes or wrong head gaskets, or, I won't say....I don't have the heart. :down:
You said this thing is rebuilt? These guys assembled the motor for you? Do you have electric sending unit?

Took the thermostat out and let it run. Seems to be working good now. :)

LKGTO is going to come over on Monday and help me adjust the timing and idle. woo hoo :D

Took the thermostat out and let it run. Seems to be working good now. :)

LKGTO is going to come over on Monday and help me adjust the timing and idle. woo hoo :D

Run it and keep a close eye on it...

LKGTO is da man!!! :good:

LKGTO got it running like a champ.
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Just got some touch up to do, take it for inspection.
Then going to take it to LKGTO house and really make it move. :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back