Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

You think Im asking a fair price??

Lew, it is a really pretty car and looks like you spent some good money on it to build it. Seems to be well put together too. Normally, that price would not be out of line because a person could not build that car for that kind of money, but today's economy has made car sales in general soft and hot rods in particular very soft.

You have to decide what your bottom dollar is that you would take and if you are serious about selling it you may have to go to that number. When I decided to sell my 23 I knew I had more than the $13 K I asked in it, but I wanted to move on and get my 27 back on the road and also I was being realistic in what the market is right now. That number worked out and I sold the car in 2 hours after putting a sign on it. I might have made more if I held out, but I wanted to be smart about it.

It only takes one person to come along and want your car, so you need to get it in front of as many people as possible to find that one person. If you have any major shows coming to your area take it there, as well as all the local shows you can attend. I don't know where you live, but if you are up North the hot rod season is ending. Down here it is just going to get started when the winter residents come back.

Good luck,

Don

Oh, and I always love those people who are saying a car is being sold too cheap but they never seem to get out their checkbooks ! ;)

That is a fair price, "but" as Don said you won't be able to get that in this economy and market. To me this line you have in your ad, kills the whole deal for me. "I dont need to sell so dont waste my time with low ball offers ." To me that is a complete turn off in an ad. You have to be willing to negotiate some.

I suspect that some folks who read the ad are going to wonder why you are selling it if (a) you don't have to and (b) you've only just finished it a few weeks ago. Those two things work against each other and would turn off some buyers.

I have to admit that the line Ron posted hit me a little hard too. Kinda like being a little rude up front, when you should be trying to be nice and win a potential buyer over. I have put in my ads "Price is firm" on an item I left no wiggle room on, but when people called they still asked if I was willing to come down. It is the part you said about "lowball offers and don't waste my time" that turned me off a little. I also always wonder why a person finishes a car two weeks ago and is selling it already. Is there something wrong ? How does he know it is in good condition as there are few or no road miles on it ? Does he just build them to sell ?

In an effort to help you sell this car I will tell you what I see when I look at the ad, putting myself into the shoes of a potential buyer.

1) The photos could be a little better, especially the one of the engine.

2) Color on a car and things like flames are very subjective. When we deviate from a simple single color to something like flames, real fire, graphics, etc, we put our stamp on the car and the next guy may not like what has been done. Personally, I think the car would look better with a single silver on it and no skull flames, but that is just me.

3) Neon lights under a hot rod kinda turn me off. Makes me think of a teenager and his ricer. Hot rods are supposed to be pure and performance oriented. Again, just me.

4) The blue suspension again is a very personal thing. You evidently liked it but the next guy might not.

5) On the plus side, you described all the features well and the pictures of the frame and under construction shots really help. Lets a potential buyer see it is not a hack job.

6) The dual gas tanks seem a little odd to me also. I realize it was a design element, but not sure I like them both being there.

7) That antenna in front of the windshield looks out of place to me, like it was a Pep Boys afterthought. They sell hidden antennas that mount out of sight and they work great.

Anyway, in the final analysis it is a sharp car and will make someone a good driver. You will just have to find that one person whose tastes are similar to yours, and I am not saying that in any negative way.

Don

Its a nice looking rod . I think your fair on price . Don is just saying what he would have to change if he wonted it. Need some wiggle room for some one to make it there own. You could let any body have any car on this site , by the time they get it home they are already looking to inprove / change things to our liking . As my girl says ,You guys can't leave any thing alone and she is dead on for me. Good luck on sale and someone going to have a nice ride.

There's not much I don't like about it, however wording an add properly is the front line to selling anything. With that being said, It looks great and I'm sure someone will fall in love with it and just have to have it. As Don said, It's all a matter of how fast you want to sell it.
Oh by the way... I love flames. Good luck!
Mike

Please don't misunderstand, I wasn't trying to pick the car apart.............the car is gorgeous. Just trying to stand back and tell you what a prospective shopper might see that we owners don't see on our own cars. Someone will score a really nice car with that one and you just need that one guy to come along.

Don

Thanks for the input and kind words ! I build 2 cars a year and when they are done I drive them for a week or 2 then sell them . I injoy building them more then anything . This is the first t bucket I have ever built so I just wasent sure as to where to price it. I have a lot of time in it and I know someone could not have it built for what I'm asking .

The reasone I put "no low ball offers" is because of the the way some of the people are on Racing Junk !!! I'm taking real offers but there are people on there that would offer 8k for it ! I know because I have sold a lot of cars on there and have had just plain stupid offers from people on there . I was just hoping that wording it like that would keep those people away! I think if someone want it they will call and make a real offer . I'm putting it on ebay this weekend so we will see what happends

Thanks Lew

Not sold that many cars, but when someone lowballs me, I ask how they want to handle the balance.

I have seen junk here in Ca. no where near as nice as yours. Most of the owners want 18k or more, I would say in honesty try a Califorina or Arizona possibly Nevada site since we have the weather to cruise in it almost all year long.
Best of luck ; Roger

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back