Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

young guy here with questions

turbo minivan

hey everyone! i joined here a long time ago but have been working on other projects for a few years.
im 25 and when i was 16 i bought a 23 body w/ 20" bed, insert, frame, front end kit, rad, 9" center section, 6-71 blower, corvair box, 28-A banjo rear spring, and a few other parts mostly from MAS roadster products.

ill soon have a shop of my own and itll be time to build a rolling chassis for it.
i have always planned to put a BB chevy in it with my lightly boosted 6-71 on it (under 10psi) and 2 decent carbs, but i wanted people opinions on how much is too much motor for such a light car? (ive been working with BIG turbos for a few years so i know my boost)
i have LOTS of high compression SB chevy parts from a stock-car motor, but nothing looks quite like a blown big block in a small T-bucket with zoomies.
what do people think? im going for kinda a show car/dragster look (a true race car feel, but CLEAN like a show car). you know the type.

what do you think? whats too much for the street? right now i play with a 400+hp turbo dodge omni (2000lb FWD 4 banger) and its getting to be "too much" for the street.
i sure dont want a trailer queen, but also dont want to end up with a fuel-altered type car that goes sideways on the highway.

Welcome :D

To much power? Its all in how you drive it and how much you want to spend. :D

In a T everything is out in the open, so image is everything. :cool:

oh, i also wanted to ask a very general question...
when it comes time to weld up my front end and start a rolling chassis, how do i go about making sure everything is nice and true and square... so it dosnt roll sideways down the road? :sad: having a car that doesn't track properly is my biggest fear with welding this all up.:eek:

VegasBruce said:
Welcome :D

To much power? Its all in how you drive it and how much you want to spend. :D

In a T everything is out in the open, so image is everything. :cool:

EXACTLY!!! lots of other cars are JUST about how it works, but this is 50/50 about the drive and the style! thats what i love and i dont want to spend years of hard time and hard money on something that i "compromised" on to be cheap. dont get me wrong, im all about not braking the bank, but when its all done, it better be what i was dreaming it would be:D

Are you talking about tranglulating the frame or string squaring the suspension after it's done?

Sounds like my kind of dude!! Fuel Altereds Forever.I think a big block witha blower and zoomies is even better.You can never have to much motor,cam or PSI.

turbo minivan said:
...whats too much for the street? right now i play with a 400+hp turbo dodge omni (2000lb FWD 4 banger) and its getting to be "too much" for the street.
i sure dont want a trailer queen, but also dont want to end up with a fuel-altered type car that goes sideways on the highway.

What is too much power for the street is totally dependent of how much control you have over your happy foot! :D

Now the big question is how much do you want to drive it? If you really want to drive it, the 6-8 MPG may just put a damper on your parade... but no doubt about it... Blown BBC with zoomies is dang impressive! :dance:

gettin you frame and suspension square and leve takes 3 things a tape measure, a tape measure and a tape measure!!!! seriously. a jig table is nice but if you don't have access to one, you can build your frame on a wooden table, the floor or on stands. just remember to measure 2 or 3 times before final weldin.

Ron

^ thanks for all the input guys!!
this really does sound like a "just do it how you want it as you go along" kind of process (thats totally me!). ive always been a bit scared that building from the ground up is a VERY strict and careful process.
ive been on here for 30 minutes and im learning so much!:D

that's why we're all here ... to learn and share ..... that's what makes this site so dam cool!!!!!!!!!

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back