Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Zandoz's unusual project and it's background, evolution, acquisitions, dilemmas, and questions

Zandoz

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Over the last 3 years of irritating folks here, I've hesitated starting a project thread because I'd not actually built anything. But now I'm hopefully close to rectifying that...or abandoning the whole project (More on that later). I've developed the bad habit of hijacking folks threads when they touch on something that comes close to an issue I have. Hopefully this will give me a place to cyber-babble about those issues, instead of thread hijacking.

When this endeavour began 3 years ago, the only concrete things I knew about T-Buckets was that I've been enamoured with the 1950s bobtail T Tweedy Pie since I was a kid, and they are light weight cars with a high potential for simple elegance.

The morning of the day I started this project I had no intent to build a T or any other kind of car. I had acquired a hapless little V6 and transmission for the sole reason that it was so cheap I couldn't bring myself to walk away. By dinner time it was agreed that the most fun thing to do with them was to build a simple lightweight T-Bucket around them. By evening, even though I was skeptical about my ability to do it, I was talked into giving it a shot.

The reason for my skepticism is that I am disabled. I have Degenerative Joint Disease and a pinched spinal cord, among other things. Plus I'm fat. All things combined, I'm probably the last person who should be building a T-Bucket. But I'm proud to say that I made a career of building synergy. After 10+ years of disability retirement I REALLY needed a challenge to work at. This build is that challenge.

The issues:
  • This car is intended to be a casual cruiser. There is no need for for any street or track racing ability.
  • It's primary uses are going to be exploring back roads with my dog riding shotgun, and occasional rod runs and such. Also my wife and daughter will be driving it occasionally. It needs to be reliable.
  • I need to be able to get in and out of the car with no climbing. To accomplish this the car as a whole, and the seat, must be as low as possible.
  • Because of my size, a bench seat is a must
  • No shifter or emergency brake on the transmission/driveshaft tunnel unless very short and positioned as far right as possible.
  • The pedals must be positioned so that they are useable with my joint issues.
  • The controls must be such that handicap hand controls can be added when they become a necessity.
  • The car must be able to accommodate at least a class 2 trailer hitch. I have both a manual wheelchair carrier and a small power chair trailer with a loaded weight of around 700 lbs.
  • Because the engine I have is not likely to ever produce more than around 150 hp, weight is the enemy. Wherever possible I want to use lightweight components.
  • This build is on a very tight budget. Family and bills come first...period.
  • Nothing is sacred on this build. I have nothing but admiration for the period correct folks, but that's not for me. "It's usually done that way" makes me want to see if there is another way.

More to come later............

Just keep on, keeping on Bill. I never did my hot rods to please anyone but me. If you don't like my ride, its simple build your own.
Lee

The reason for possibly giving up on the project after 3 years of planning, acquisition, and obsession is that my disability issues have progressed much quicker than expected. We had planned all along that I'd eventually be at this point, but it's come a couple years sooner than expected. Right now my physical ability to finish the project is questionable. I feel guilty for continued spending on something that's becoming increasingly likely I'll never be able to finish. My wife is encouraging me to continue...she says not to worry about it because I enjoy doing it. She's right bout enjoying it...building my own car has been a bucket list item since I was a kid. But I can't help thinking the money would be better spent on something SHE would enjoy.

<shrug>

Where I am right now is close to needing to have my frame built. Because of my wants and needs, I've not found an "off the rack" frame that will work. It's not going to be anything complicated...for the most part a simple ladder frame, but with atypical proportions. The biggest exception is I will need at least 3"ID sleeved holes on both sides of the frame, for my R&P bellows and tie rods to pass through the frame....as discussed here steering arms This is also the last issue I need to resolve before drawing up the final frame plans. Here is where I am now....

Top.jpg
Side.jpg

I'll be following this with interest. I too need concessions for mobility but my needs are going the other way! I have lost 85 lbs and still loosing but still proceeding.

Zandoz, could you tell us where you are located? May I call you Bill?

John

I'm in Alexandria Kentucky, about 15 miles south of Cincinnati. Bill's fine...Pretty much anything that I recognize that you're talking to me is OK.

I'll be following this with interest. I too need concessions for mobility but my needs are going the other way! I have lost 85 lbs and still loosing but still proceeding.

Keep up the good work! I wish I were able to accomplish what you have.

The saga continues...

As I said, I started out with the intention of building a simple T-Bucket. After looking around at the current state of T roadsters, the T-Modifieds and Track Roadsters really caught my eye. I could see how they could easily be adapted to the Tweedy Pie proportions that I wanted. I went back and forth on what theme I was going to go with, and finally decided to go with the Modified/Track roadster direction. Up until a couple weeks ago that was still the plan.

Then because of my worsening health and the realization that my plans had gotten more complicated than I liked, I started reassessing. I needed to simplify...because a simple car was my original intent...and if not simple, I'd have no chance of finishing. One of the biggest simplifications was to scrap the Modified/Track roadster idea, and go back to my original T-Bucket plans. Additionally that move would also save a lot of money...both in replacing the track roadster nose I'd gotten ripped off on, and the custom hood fabrication. Plus I still have a cool radiator/grille shell that I had gotten before the decision to go the Modified/Track roadster direction. I'd planned on reselling it for over 2 years, but had never gotten around to it. Simplification at no cost...EXCELLENT! But my quest for simplification continues.

Here is where I'm at now...more or less...........
H-Bucket.jpg

About the shifter: I used to have mine on the seat riser:
jim%252520003.JPG

The lever connects to a rod down to a bellcrank under the floor with a rod to the tranny. Built it from scraps in the garage. Nothing on the floor. Some variation on this might do the job for you.
The box with switch is for turn signals.

About the shifter: I used to have mine on the seat riser:
jim%252520003.JPG

The lever connects to a rod down to a bellcrank under the floor with a rod to the tranny. Built it from scraps in the garage. Nothing on the floor. Some variation on this might do the job for you.
The box with switch is for turn signals.

Looks interesting. Did you somehow have a detent system to keep it in gear?

Actually the first shifter setup I considered would have been a perfect starting point if it were for a 3 speed automatic...all that would need to be added would be the bellcrank. It was a racing shifter that was just a little short lever, a simple detent system on the bottom of the lever, and the rods and heims to connect to the transmission. It was all anodized aluminum and only cost about $70. Unfortunately I need a 4 speed 700R4 compatible setup, and I never found one.

Right now my favorite option is a B&M Unimatic cable shifter, mounted on the firewall instead of the floor...with the shortened lever coming out from under the dash, like the old Corvair shifters.

The turn signals (and flasher) interface I have covered...a 28" Ididit non tilt column with both controls.

The reason for possibly giving up on the project after 3 years of planning, acquisition, and obsession is that my disability issues have progressed much quicker than expected. We had planned all along that I'd eventually be at this point, but it's come a couple years sooner than expected. Right now my physical ability to finish the project is questionable. I feel guilty for continued spending on something that's becoming increasingly likely I'll never be able to finish. My wife is encouraging me to continue...she says not to worry about it because I enjoy doing it. She's right bout enjoying it...building my own car has been a bucket list item since I was a kid. But I can't help thinking the money would be better spent on something SHE would enjoy.

<shrug>

Where I am right now is close to needing to have my frame built. Because of my wants and needs, I've not found an "off the rack" frame that will work. It's not going to be anything complicated...for the most part a simple ladder frame, but with atypical proportions. The biggest exception is I will need at least 3"ID sleeved holes on both sides of the frame, for my R&P bellows and tie rods to pass through the frame....as discussed here steering arms This is also the last issue I need to resolve before drawing up the final frame plans. Here is where I am now....

View attachment 11820
View attachment 11821
If I were in your position, and I have been in a similar position, I would do everything I could possibly do as soon as possible, today! Don't worry about if, think positive, and do what you enjoy! Even if you don't finish, if you enjoy doing it, it's enough reason to do it. Enjoy the ride...I have found that doing what I technically shouldn't, and what the doctors told me not to is the best medicine. Does it hurt? Hell yes, but I get through it because I am focussed on something else. When it overcomes me, I go back the the massage chair with the meds. I have done more since I became catastrophically injured than many able bodied people do in a lifetime. Do what makes you want to live. IMHO. I wish you the best! I in no way intend to insult, belittle, or minimize your condition. You and only you can decide what's right for you.

If I were in your position, and I have been in a similar position, I would do everything I could possibly do as soon as possible, today! Don't worry about if, think positive, and do what you enjoy! Even if you don't finish, if you enjoy doing it, it's enough reason to do it. Enjoy the ride...I have found that doing what I technically shouldn't, and what the doctors told me not to is the best medicine. Does it hurt? Hell yes, but I get through it because I am focussed on something else. When it overcomes me, I go back the the massage chair with the meds. I have done more since I became catastrophically injured than many able bodied people do in a lifetime. Do what makes you want to live. IMHO. I wish you the best! I in no way intend to insult, belittle, or minimize your condition. You and only you can decide what's right for you.

Rest assured that I take what you said as encouragement...all good by me. A lot of your words echo my wife's.

Actually, even if I had no health issues at all, what I would enjoy most about the project is the designing, scrounging and building. If this thing would be marketable, I'd probably sell it shortly after completion...to fund the next project.

I'm really not concerned about the hurting. I've had the joint and nerve pain for so long now that I can tune a lot of it out. I'm already pretty much restricted to a wheelchair. That was know to be an eventuality going into this project...and planned for. My big worry is losing the ability to use my hands. Before the one time only surgery to relieve the pressure on my spinal cord, I was to the point that all I could move was my head...and then only a half turn to one side. Over the last 6 months or so I've been gradually losing feel and dexterity in my hands again. I have no way of knowing how soon it will progress to the point of not being able to use my hands at all.

Do I want to carry on with the project? Hell yes...it's given me a purpose...something I lacked for a lot of years. But the idea that I'm probably wasting money that is in short supply, haunts me.

Until my abilities take a major turn for the worse, I'm probably going to continue until my wife says stop. But it will be bugging me the whole time.

Bill,

I apologize for not responding much but I have changed jobs and living locations. Work has been heavy and I have no internet, TV, radio etc where I stay. This is good and bad. I can stay at the shop and use the Internet late as I want but lately I don't have the want. Being isolated has become a blessing as I hooked up a 17" monitor on loan from a fellow buckethead and started reteaching myself Solidworks. I want to try to model a proposed roadster project that I have been thinking about since I found this forum. Made a few changes and I'm still wrestling over the rear suspension. Well actually with both front and rear suspension. As you know, I to use Draftsight 2D cad on a regular basis and have been developing my thoughts in it. I think you should just layout the basic frame then start inserting in parts as blocks. Then you can move the around to check clearances etc. I usually draw components and keep them in a cad library just for possible reuse. You can find a lot of predrawn parts on the internet at no charge. Once you have a good basic drawing of the major parts and frame you should be able to see what will hit or clear and have it built per the spec. I very seldom build anything off the fly anymore. Just to easy to make it correct on the screen before scrapping material. Give it some thought. Best of Health and "T" luck to you!

George

Bill,

I apologize for not responding much but I have changed jobs and living locations. Work has been heavy and I have no internet, TV, radio etc where I stay. This is good and bad. I can stay at the shop and use the Internet late as I want but lately I don't have the want. Being isolated has become a blessing as I hooked up a 17" monitor on loan from a fellow buckethead and started reteaching myself Solidworks. I want to try to model a proposed roadster project that I have been thinking about since I found this forum. Made a few changes and I'm still wrestling over the rear suspension. Well actually with both front and rear suspension. As you know, I to use Draftsight 2D cad on a regular basis and have been developing my thoughts in it. I think you should just layout the basic frame then start inserting in parts as blocks. Then you can move the around to check clearances etc. I usually draw components and keep them in a cad library just for possible reuse. You can find a lot of predrawn parts on the internet at no charge. Once you have a good basic drawing of the major parts and frame you should be able to see what will hit or clear and have it built per the spec. I very seldom build anything off the fly anymore. Just to easy to make it correct on the screen before scrapping material. Give it some thought. Best of Health and "T" luck to you!

George

No need for apology...generally real life should have a higher priority than cyber life.

I know what you are saying about the blessings of isolation. At one point long ago and far away I lived for 8 years in a fishing cabin. Weather permitting, when I was not working or sleeping, I spent most of my off time sitting on a big rock on the shore. Watching nature, fishing boats, the occasional skier, and trains passing by on the other side of the bay was my entertainment. I loved it.

Is this what you mean?
Cut away.jpg
Just about everything is there...some of it down to the nut & bolt detail. I spend a considerable part of the day...adding detail or playing "what if" games.

DraftSight is my toybox of choice also. Unfortunately I've never been able to get the hang of the 3D CAD programs.

Nice work Zandoz. I downloaded Draftsight a few months ago along with the tutorials but it seems I always have something brewing in the shop that takes my interest away from learning how to use it. I usually end up drawing stuff up on graph paper and, like today, designing and mocking up a fuel tank out of cardboard to fit between the frame rails and double as a floor for the bed. Maybe if I moved my desktop and monitor out to the garage I might have more inclination to learn to use it. LOL I have the laptop on the bench...but it's mostly used for searching and keeping up on the forum.

Does anyone have a 3D body in dxf or 3ds or 3DS Max format. I have 3DS Max 2010 and would love to have a body to use. I have a multitude of cars (30) including trains for accident reconstruct, but at last nothing in the hotrod line. I know there are some for sale.

Please PM if you have something, don't want to hijack this thread.

Nice work Zandoz. I downloaded Draftsight a few months ago along with the tutorials but it seems I always have something brewing in the shop that takes my interest away from learning how to use it. I usually end up drawing stuff up on graph paper and, like today, designing and mocking up a fuel tank out of cardboard to fit between the frame rails and double as a floor for the bed. Maybe if I moved my desktop and monitor out to the garage I might have more inclination to learn to use it. LOL I have the laptop on the bench...but it's mostly used for searching and keeping up on the forum.

Thanks.

When I started this project I was using a DOS version of Autosketch. I'd been using it for all kinds of projects since the early 90s. I quickly maxed out it's capabilities. After trials of a few different programs I chose DraftSight. I do about 90% of my work from a Dell 17" screen laptop. I'm in the process of going to a Dell Commercial desktop with a 27" screen, and my files on cloud storage for access from anywhere.

Welllllll....It's time for another mid course adjustment.

I'd been trying to make this build at least give a nod to period correctness. Making it look like it came from the late '40s. All along trying to do that with modern components has been an uphill battle at best. When I decided to switch back from building a period modified/track roadster, to my original plan of building a Tweedy Pie esque bobtail T-bucket, the whole '40s thing became silly. As far as I know, no T-buckets in the late '40s.

As kind of a burning crossed bridges thing, yesterday I popped for my rear wheels...and they're definitely not '40s looking...
prime.jpg
to go with the faux-wires I've had for the front...
Lincoln Wires.JPG

The Fronts are 15"x6" and the new rears are 15"x8"

Soooooooo...for now the theme is going to be a bobtail T, with a wink and a nod to the original pre-bling Tweedy, built to accommodate my mobility issues.

Bobtail T.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back