Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

383 Blueprint Motor

RockabillyRoots

I’m considering putting in a Blueprint Engine 383ci 430 hp motor in my T-bucket. Has anyone done or know of someone doing that motor and what would be your recommendation for transmisson?

The 4L80E is almost bomb proof in most applications, but it's overkill and needlessly heavy (for a T) and requires a controller, which adds to the overall cost.

I'd look at the TH350 or the 700R4.

The 350 is tried and true in T's and is easily built to take all that 383 can dish out. . . It's a less expensive route than the 700R4, but it isn't a 4 speed over drive like the R4 is either.

The 700R4 / 4L60 (not the 4L60E) is a Non-computer controlled overdrive trans, so it's a simple install with no electronic controller needed.

There are lots to choose from, but most brands have one with about a 550HP rating that would be an easy installation with a warranty like the motor comes with.

The R4 has a very low 3.06:1 first gear, with a 0.7:1 OD, so any mid range performance rear gear ratio (3.40's to 3.90's) has lots of grunt on the low end and nice hiway manners for cruising.

Last edited:
That was a perfect reply Island Girl thanks. I keep going back and forth on those but the info helps...

The over-drive effectively turns a 4.11 into a 2.90 or a 4.56 into a 3.23, so you can have the grunt that makes ahving a lot of HP in a light car so much fun, while still being able to cruise a reasonable distance on that ~10 gal gas tank at regular Interstate speeds.

If I was still living in Texas, I'd have went with a 3.90 or 4.11 gear with my 700R4, but for down here in the Islands . . . I went with a 4.86

I am running a 350 with that BHP. I only have Drive, no 2 or 1 on my shifter as It don't need the lower gears.

You can beef up a 200r4 or 700r4 if you want overdrive without a module, 350, 400 turbo of even a powerglide if you don’t. If you like to shift, there are numerous manual options. It just depends on what you want it to do. I ran a 700 r 4 behind a 383 in my iroc z with no problems, switched to a Muncie 4 speed, then a t56 six speed. Lots of fun. You won’t likely need to build too much of a transmission for a t because if the light weight, but there are many options like heavy duty clutches, hardened clutch baskets, sprags, etc... build the entire driveline to work together.

My 700R4 was delivered to me today. Up to 550+ HP but they can build them for much higher of course. My stroker motor will barely get the pulse going at 360HP. I liked the low gear stoplight to stoplight neck snap but I wanted to cruise as far as my old super-bikes did between gas stops. 110 miles at least. No electronics/computers is appealing to me since I know nothing about them and do not want to learn if I don't have to. I am not in Texas but I did go with the 4.11 gears anyway. : ) Build starts in January. Pile of parts is getting taller and taller.

I'm running the 200-4R trans because it's the same length and output spline as a TH350, therefore
I didn't have to change the drive shaft. The trans mount will have to change thou. It also has better
gear spacing and OD ratio than the 700-R4. There is a big jump from 1st to 2nd. The 700-R4 is
more plentiful than the 200-4R.

TransGearRatios.PNG

I bought out a transmission shop when they were closing, so if anyone needs parts I might have
them. The purchase consisted of 3 complete transmissions and a couple hundred pounds of spare
parts. I cleaned them, dipped in AFT and bagged them, then labeled every box with the contents.

FP04_CompletedInventory_00940.jpg
FP05_Trans2004r_Invenrtory_00952.jpg

Not counting the cost of the trans and no torque converter, about $450 to $900 for parts. Depends
on how you expect to drive it, just cruising and an few WOT blast a year or more aggressive
with many WOT with a standing start, power jacking starts. You get the idea.

2004R Rebuild Kits

Here is the build thread for mine, but I went way over the required work with lots of machine
work to eliminate thrust washers and replacing them with thrust bearings.

TBucket 200-4R Transmission Project | Grumpys Performance Garage

BTW, it's a 200-4R instead of 200-R4. Most people get that wrong because of the 700-R4.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back