Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

429 cobra jet t bucket need advise

retired49

o-k guys and ladies first i have a complaint and then i have a problem, please read the whole listing maybe you can point me in right direction.
first my wife has her own business and she has a lady that works for her and her husband had a 70th birthday party last sat. and my wife and myself was invited to the party. so we live in the country and the party was about 20 min deeper in the country so i thought we would take the bucket. so we get their and it is outside party and we are sitting under a tent enjoying a ice cold water and i look over where the t is parked under a tree and someone is standing at the back of the t with his dinner plate on the back of my car and his beer bottle next to his plate this guy is in his early 30 s .. what is it with these cars that people do not respect them or the people that build them, i know it is not a shelby mustang fastback ...ok enough of that the problem i am having is when i hit a large bump in the road the front end wants to go left or right is it the weight of the big block or am i missing something , can it be the 31x18.5x15 mt on the back please help if you can thanks ken from mich.

Attachments

• 100_6764.JPG
    100_6764.JPG
    714 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_6767.JPG
    100_6767.JPG
    646.3 KB · Views: 128
Check the front wheel bearings and make sure they are tight and then try to toe out the car and see if that don't help. start with about 1/8 inch and go out from there a little at a time. Drive a bit and make adjustments and try it again until it goes away. I have mine set at about 1/4 out and no problems...

Mike

Your shock mounts are designed for the shocks to mount inside and compress toward the center of the car. They have very little strength front-to-rear so your shocks are not very effective. Your radius rod ends seem to be rubber bushings. If you use a Heim rod end on one side of the bracket you may be able to mount the shock to the other side so it will compress laterally instead of fore-and-aft.

How much front suspension travel do you actually have with the 429. It could be bottoming out the shocks also.

Check the front wheel bearings and make sure they are tight and then try to toe out the car and see if that don't help. start with about 1/8 inch and go out from there a little at a time. Drive a bit and make adjustments and try it again until it goes away. I have mine set at about 1/4 out and no problems...

Mike
I agree with Mike! There is no problem with the shocks mounted the way you have them.

I would of said:" Hey Bud, this is my car and not your picnic table".
They need to be informed or they will just bumble through life ignorant.

I've had a few knuckleheads do dumb stuff near or on my car. Best one was, I was sitting about 10 feet away from my T under a pop-up when I noticed a guy and a teen-aged kid leaning over and pumping my throttle linkage (dual quads). By the time I got up and close enough to talk to them they had pumped it about a half-dozen times! I said as nicely as I could, "Can I help you with something?" He just turned and gave me an annoyed look and said, "I was showing my son how progressive linkage works." Again in my nicest tone, I said, "Do you understand that you just pumped several ounces of raw fuel into my cylinders and washed down the oil?" He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Sorry" in that tone that really means "Bite me!" They walked off with the dad mumbling something under his breath, probably something about my heritage.

Looks like you are running a cross steer? Do you have a front panhard bar?

I think that your observation is spot on, Ron. You have REALLY good eyes!

Jim

Before we quit doing shows/cruises a couple incidents stand out . One was the young parent encouraging his child to step on the sidepipes to "see in" :devilish: , another was the guy who grabbed the side of the car , rocked it back & forth violently , when approached he " just wanted to see how solid the body was" :mad: One of the main reasons we no longer attend..... Like Ron White says , " Ya can't fix stupid !!!"
dave

the shocks are working great and are not bottoming out they have 3" of travel .. the panhead bar you guys are talking about ,is that like the one on the rear end? so what you guys are saying is the front axle is going side to side on me ? and i will check the toe and put it out 1/4" i have a cruise in tonight and will let you know...i do not have a panhead bar on it and what you guys are saying really fits the bill .....THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. i will get a panhead bar on it and i will update everyone thanks a mill. i was getting ready to pull the big block out and go small block thanks everyone have a great day

well everyone i put the panhead bar on the front today , what a difference she runs straight ....thank you so much for the advice , this forum is great and the people on it are very helpful thanks everyone...a special thanks to jerry thanks for the pics and the advise ....i will post pics tomorrow of the bar

Before we quit doing shows/cruises a couple incidents stand out . One was the young parent encouraging his child to step on the sidepipes to "see in" :devilish: , another was the guy who grabbed the side of the car , rocked it back & forth violently , when approached he " just wanted to see how solid the body was" :mad: One of the main reasons we no longer attend..... Like Ron White says , " Ya can't fix stupid !!!"
dave
This just happened to me 2 wks ago. I was showing my 27 to an acquaintance at his house and his 5 yr old kept climbing in the car using the sidepipe as a step. To be fair his dad told him not to and pulled him out. On the way home I realized that something wasn't sounding right. The stud that supports my long sidepipe was broke off leaving a hole in the pipe. I had to take my exhaust off and reweld it back on. Its frustrating, but not the end of the world..

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back