Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A question about friction shocks.

Ttownbucket

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Here are a couple of questions for those of you who use friction shocks, or those who don't. How often do you have to service them. When you do service them, what is required. It is my understanding that "normal" shocks ride better, if that's true, how much better. I like the look, and space saving qualities of friction shocks. Just want to hear the pros and cons. I'm still in the parts gathering/planning stages and want to hear what you have to say. I will admit that I am fairly ignorant about the subject and will probably ask a stupid question or two. Thanks for your input.

Friction shocks were OK until they made hydraulic shocks. You might want to look at MGB shocks. They are hydraulic, but look like friction. I think they are called knee action shocks. Early Chevy's had them too I think.

I will probably go with hydraulics, I just want to keep the headlights low so I probably wont mount the shocks and headlights on the same bracket. If any one has pics of how they mounted theirs I would love to see them.

I mounted mine this way and plan on making separate brackets for the headlights. I also initially wanted to go with the friction shocks for the same reasons. But after some research I decided a quality ride was more important...

I like that option, Bob, but I want my radiator to sit right at the front of the frame. Do you think it would mount between those brackets? I guess I could always modify them to suit my application. I guess that's what hot rodding is all about, after all.

Mine will mount between the brackets if I trim the mounting tabs on the radiator and shell a little. Or, if I mounted it about halfway down the frame rail which I plan to, it will go under the shock mount as they are. So, in either case, the answer is yes.

I replaced my friction shocks with hydraulic shocks and it was night and day different. I think I used the shortest shock I could find around 9" then shortened the shock bracket I got from RPM.

I have at this time friction shocks on my car, I'm using a 3/8 '' pad[ from a mudflap off of a truck]] on mine. Put on this spring , seems to work good, I haven't had to tighten my shocks yet. I have thought of hydraulic shocks, but haven't found the top bracket I want. Will try friction shock a while longer. My radiator sets up next to cross tube.

Sure do. Check this page for a bunch of pictures of the during progress. http://s36.photobucket.com/user/fordsbyjay/library/23 T bucket?sort=3&page=4

Below is a picture of the after.

Here is the original bracket I got from RPM and the right brackets are what I modified them too. Ron's bracket is a bolt on deal. It slips over the friction mount stud. However, on my Total Performance frame it did not fit well and I thought it looked ugly. If I was starting from scratch I would just use the longer shocks for more travel. We are only talking about another inch.

The friction shocks on my Total Performance frame weren't working at all when I first got the car a few months ago. I called Speedway and discovered they had some of the original friction pads on the back shelf somewhere, so I bought several. Over the next few weeks, I discovered that friction shocks need constant maintenance (retightening every few days) in order to dampen the axle well. That's not what I want in a near-daily driver, so I pulled them off and mounted hydraulics. Like someone else here said, the difference is night and day.

Jack

p1720578603.jpg

Hydraulic shocks compared to friction. They both work but it is like having an old icebox compared to a refrigerator less work.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back