Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Adding L E D lights [taillight , brake & turning lights.

iajjpop

On my car if I buy 2 L E D taillights , and get a L E D flasher . Is that all I need to get L E D taillight, brake & turn signals????

Worked for me. Mine are 39 Ford LEDS from Speedway. They Flash about 5 times the first second and then they stay bright. the turn signal flash about the same. Very Bright.LED Tail brake lights 2-23-16.jpg

I think it depends on what you are using for signal switch. I have tail, brake/turn with 2 wires, plus a ground wire. Works with standard turn switch. If you are just using a on/off'/on type toggle switch, you would need diodes in the brake wires and turn wires to stop feedback to both both lights when turn light is on. I am using the 39 style LED light from United Pacific.
Lee

I bought mine today , come with 3 wires , 1 black, 1 red ,& 1 white. I got 1 installed today, works good . Do 1 tomorrow . Don't think I will need different flasher . Flasher speed seems o. k.I like the way the one works I got installed. I have had a fear of being rear ended.

Hey Fellas,

I have used taillights from a company called; Shiney-Hiney.com. I used the motorcycle models, three wire. Great lights. They also have a kit to make it a flashing light to alert when pressing the brake... much needed with a motorcycle nowadays. I am going to use the Pontiac style lights for the tbucket.

I tried to post the link... but I have not posted 10 times yet....

Larry, find a United Pacific dealer near you, or most large car shows will have them. Speedway sells quite a few LED lights.
Indy, I thought that is what you meant. Was just making sure he wasn't confused. Maybe I confused him more?:confused:
Lee

Got 2 nd LED lights installed today .Work really good , show up good. Glad I went that route. I think it is a lot safer with them.

Them are nice. I found some flasher things on ebay. Not near as expensive as I thought they would be. One of them was adjustable, you can make them flash for up to 5 seconds I believe.

Get yourself pen & paper, go to Amazon, they have quite a extensive list of lights. Pick out what you want, along with some extension wire, you'll need plenty.
For your flashers, if you don't have the type for leds, you'll get into 'hyperflashing', because not enough resistance is in the circuit to make the flasher flash normally. In THAT case, you'll need ballast resisters, just wire them in and your standard flasher will work just fine. BUT, if your doing this as a total upgrade, go with the electronic flasher, that way no resistance is needed, making your electrical system stronger.
Your alternator will thank you, as it won't have to put out alot of juice got the turn signals and brake lights.
I used the 7" HID LED HEADLIGHTS for motorcycles in my front headlight buckets....they work great and can see the road ALOT BETTER at night. Hell, they are so bright, that during the day, you can see their light on the paint job of cars and road signs.
I consider this a added safety feature, because if folks can see these cars, better, theres less of a chance they'll run over you, plus they look damn cool!

I tried resistor did not work. I just purchased a United Pacific LED flasher and the turns (LED front and rear) work.

Here's the deal: standard flashers need the load of an incandescent bulb to work right. If you replace all the turn bulbs with LEDs there won't be enough load and the flashing will be very slow or not at all. Easy fix is to wire an incandescent bulb or load resistor in parallel with the LED to increase the load. Or you can use a special flasher made for LEDs.

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a wiring diagram for wiring up the following.....

Speedway led taillights/brake lights -3 wire
LED front turn signals -2 wire
Simple on-off-on switch
I have a resistor for each of the LED lights.

I'm trying to incorporate it all while using a PAINLESS KIT #10308.
This wiring is not my favorite thing to be doing.

Thanks,
PaulR

Running LEDs with no resistor, but using LED flasher. All I had to do was change the standard flasher to the LED. If I remember correctly the white was ground, red was brake, black was tail on the lights.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back