Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Bat wings

RWENUTS

Got the frame welded up for my 27 modified. Made it 28" wide with an 8" kickup in back. Sorry no pics yet.
My axle came with a pair of weld on batwings. Question is when we weld them to the I-beam axle do we install them square (90 degrees) or slightly angled to line up with the hairpins.
Also what's a standard length of hairpin to use?
Thanks a bunch.

Got the frame welded up for my 27 modified. Made it 28" wide with an 8" kickup in back. Sorry no pics yet.
My axle came with a pair of weld on batwings. Question is when we weld them to the I-beam axle do we install them square (90 degrees) or slightly angled to line up with the hairpins.
Also what's a standard length of hairpin to use?
Thanks a bunch.

They get welded on at an angle inwards to align with the hairpins or 4 links. I believe shorter is better on the hairpins, but I will let the guru's take baton on that. Pics are great and if provided, everyone can guide you much better...

I weld them on at 90 degrees from the axle so the spring perch is square to the spring eye. A torch can be used to tweek the tabs for your hairpins or bars. I like a 33" hair pin up front. Thats including the heims, tie rod ends or clevisis.

Tip; set one hairpin on top of the other and drop a bolt threw the heims and clevisis. It should go thru easily. That way you know they are exactly the same length. DON"T rely on a tape measure.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back