Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Battery Clamps Fail....

Screaming Metal

While I was out and about to Sturgis, had my RV driven up, that way I could stay in the camp grounds.
Upon leaving, went to a place close by, they had a big ole carshow, and a bunch o buckets.
Theres just something about seeing a show bucket, a hi-perf. street bucket, and a balls to the wall all out weekend warrior....all well over $10K in price.
And all with a bent up, bowed out $1.99 AutoZone/WalMart?/WhoReillys battery clamps. Those were corrosion magnets....

These would've looked nice....doesn't take alot to make me happy....
4 Port Digital Battery Terminal - Positive - WiringProducts

Thanks OneFinger....took a leasurely 4 days to drive up to Sturgis, Has corns on my Butt for a week....

I just listened to a tale, about a broken down vehicle today. No one, could get it jump off, no power to horn, lights etc. After numerous attempts by different sources it was towed. He got a phone call about 30 minutes later, his truck was ready. Asking what the bill was, no charge other than the tow. What was wrong, add on battery cable ends. Changed them out and ready to go. Battery and charging system doing their job.

Yea RR, like all of us that have paid those dues....bad battery clamps causes needless strain on starters, alternators, and other electrical equip. Probably the #1 Killer of Starters, Alt's and batteries....
Don't get me wrong, the $2.99 stock clamps have their place. With all the other equipment, its just too expensive to eat up a good elect. system for $2.99.

They're good for the beater, your old farm truck, tractor. If your stuff is well maintained, they are OK. When I open the hood, I do a quick scan of things, and one is always the battery, looking for the creeping corrosion between post and clamp or clamp and cables....

BUT, they're not well made enough for hard service, and to get things good and tight. They are a compromise, to get your car going inexpensively. I use them in a emergency or for short term use, till I get the good clamps.

A little cleaner, a wire brush, and some vasoline works wonders....about once every 6 months....and the treated felt washers

This is what I call a battery clamp....and how to connect the cables.....
images

And for safety, the past 10 years or so, on the negative side of the battery I use a short 10" piece of 0 or 00 welding cable, go into a 1/4 turn welding cable connector, then back to your neg. cable.
In any emergency, you can disconnect at the 1/4 turn connector, since they're rated for 400-600 amps...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back