Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Blowing fuses

butch27

Got the bucket out today and the volt gauge showed it was overcharging up to 18 volts. Blew 2 fuses - the flassher and the turn signal one. NEVER had an electric problem before. It's running a 302" Ford 1969 Mustang system with a voltage regulator. Think that what went bad OR some in braking wiring system? I do run relays. Help- The weather just got nice.

Regulator, in fact, you may find today, if you have a mechanical regulator, that the battery is dead.
The charge contacts weld themselves together, causing a maximum charge while running, and then draining the battery
when shut off.

If it's a mechanical regulator, you have to bias the polarity or it can discharge the battery. Ford regulators are prone to fail. I have changed more of them over the years than all others combined. Just had one fail on my dump truck...

I'd be surprised if you could even find a replacement mechanical regulator any more.
I had one fail as I described above back in the 80's, put a "electronic" replacement on and it worked as long as I owned it.
Funny, the "electronic" one had the same metal case as the OEM, but when you took the cover off all there was in there was a nickel-sized
3-legged solid state regulator.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back