Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Bucket Engine

JeffK

So, while I'm waiting to get my frame and body I decided to jump on Summit Racings' sale on 5.3 LS bare blocks. I have a 5.3 laying around and did some research at how easy it is to make HP from this engine. Plans are for a 4 bbl set-up with the MSD tuner. ICT seems to be the go to guys for the alternator drive/serpentine set-up. It will be a slow process but at least I can make some forward progress in the mean time. sum-4853l_sn_xl.jpg

I have built quite a few LS motors. I am running a 6.0 LS2 in my car. I f you have any questions i will try to help where i can. And you are correct, you can get a lot of power out of a 5.3.

I have built quite a few LS motors. I am running a 6.0 LS2 in my car. I f you have any questions i will try to help where i can. And you are correct, you can get a lot of power out of a 5.3.
Thanks, If I recall you directed me to ICT in another post. Right now I'm just going stock bottom end, lifter upgrade, dual valve springs, and trunion upgade on the heads, and a cam. I really don't want to go into balancing/machine shop expense at this time. I have a few articles with 400 hp 5.3's with stock heads/rotating assy's and feel content that it should ample for a cruiser. Perhaps heads in the future but with the weight of the car I'm sure I will be ok with it.

Note about Summit Racing. Upon inspecting the block I received, it had a chipped cam bearing. I e-mailed Summit Racing customer service and their reply was a shipment tracking number for a new set of Clevite cam bearings, no questions asked. Love their customer service and will continue to deal with them as a first choice.

Note about Summit Racing. Upon inspecting the block I received, it had a chipped cam bearing. I e-mailed Summit Racing customer service and their reply was a shipment tracking number for a new set of Clevite cam bearings, no questions asked. Love their customer service and will continue to deal with them as a first choice.

They're my number one go to supplier. The customer service is second to none.

Simple things. Like not having to re-log into my account every 20 minutes. Great shipping prices. And their web site is so easy to maneuver.

Have you seen Jegs' changes to their web site? What a nightmare. And don't get me started on Speedway.

I was informed yesterday from a Summit employee that Summit now has a 51% interest in Jegs'.

Jim

Simple things. Like not having to re-log into my account every 20 minutes. Great shipping prices. And their web site is so easy to maneuver.

Have you seen Jegs' changes to their web site? What a nightmare. And don't get me started on Speedway.
I used to deal with JEGS alot, there site has always been a PITA but you are correct, it is now a nightmare. Speedway is rather cumbersome lol, I got lots of Speedways goodies on the living room floor LOL

I was informed yesterday from a Summit employee that Summit now has a 51% interest in Jegs'.

Jim
That's funny, I was just telling my brother yesterday I wouldn't doubt they were the same company

These are the wheels I bought for the bucket, Crager Series 69. After about a year of looking at wheels and getting thoroughly disgusted at the cost of a wheel I settled on these. I did not order the spider caps, and not sure if I will due to my severe "chrome" allergy lol. About $240.00 for all 4 wheelsseries 69.jpgI also have a gallon of 54' Chevy Surf Green acrylic urethane paint for the body. Plan is to satin black everything except the body.

Sounds like you got a good plan for your motor. I built mine pretty mild compared to a few i have done. Do you have your intake and msd box yet?

It used to be just the opposite, I live local to both of them and Jeggs was always by far easier to deal with, I had bad experiences with summits smart mouthed sales clerks, but times have changed. I still deal with Jeggs locally, but the mail order thing isn't what it's cracked up to be. The Jeggs family owns many business, car dealerships, etc, my friends son in law used to do Jeggies landscaping, they aren't hurting for anything...they are great about returns at the store. They did recently shut down two of their three Columbus Ohio stores and per a friend who works there, they are focussed on the mail order sales and own several local manufacturing companies doing brake kits, etc... I miss the '80's when they still built chassis and engines, etc for walk in customers. Also remember Super Shops? Don't want to " hijack" the thread, just a thought!

Sounds like you got a good plan for your motor. I built mine pretty mild compared to a few i have done. Do you have your intake and msd box yet?
No, I'm at least a year away from that. I have too much to acquire before I am even to that point. I will nickel and dime the long block together and let it sit until I get my frame and body done, then worry about the intake carb and box.

It used to be just the opposite, I live local to both of them and Jeggs was always by far easier to deal with, I had bad experiences with summits smart mouthed sales clerks, but times have changed. I still deal with Jeggs locally, but the mail order thing isn't what it's cracked up to be. The Jeggs family owns many business, car dealerships, etc, my friends son in law used to do Jeggies landscaping, they aren't hurting for anything...they are great about returns at the store. They did recently shut down two of their three Columbus Ohio stores and per a friend who works there, they are focussed on the mail order sales and own several local manufacturing companies doing brake kits, etc... I miss the '80's when they still built chassis and engines, etc for walk in customers. Also remember Super Shops? Don't want to " hijack" the thread, just a thought!
I got my fuel system parts, and brake lines and fittings from Jegs, I still use them for some but Summit for most

I got my fuel system parts, and brake lines and fittings from Jegs, I still use them for some but Summit for most
I don't shop at any place for everything. I seem to have to buy from several to get everything, it's frustrating, but seems to be how it goes. I hate to hear of them consolidating, it's bad news for the consumer for sure.

I don't shop at any place for everything. I seem to have to buy from several to get everything, it's frustrating, but seems to be how it goes. I hate to hear of them consolidating, it's bad news for the consumer for sure.
No doubt, competition breeds reasonable prices. Not too many speed shops on their scale and I am sure it will reflect in their pricing eventually. Capitalism good/Monopoly bad.

I've noticed jegs offering more & more "house brand" [import] stuff lately ,wonder if they've been in trouble for a while ??
dave

These are the wheels I bought for the bucket, Crager Series 69. After about a year of looking at wheels and getting thoroughly disgusted at the cost of a wheel I settled on these. I did not order the spider caps, and not sure if I will due to my severe "chrome" allergy lol. About $240.00 for all 4 wheelsView attachment 12209I also have a gallon of 54' Chevy Surf Green acrylic urethane paint for the body. Plan is to satin black everything except the body.

LOL Those are the wheels I'm going to be using.:D

I've noticed jegs offering more & more "house brand" [import] stuff lately ,wonder if they've been in trouble for a while ??
dave
They offer self branded import type stuff and also have some local companies that manufacture similar items like disc brake conversions, etc... They also have many hardware items like chassis parts, brackets, fittings, etc, and pretty decent quality and price from what Ive seen, but I have the advantage of going to the store and comparing them. Seems to be the way of the global economy, I'm not a fan of it. Their store, the original one on Elleventh avenue and I 71 in Columbus, is always busy and I have a friend who has worked for them for trwenty plus years. No mention of trouble, just change of direction. Likely business minded managers counting beans as opposed to hot rodders, times a changing...

LOL Those are the wheels I'm going to be using.:D
Cool wheels! I like the center caps. Ive been looking for some cool ones to go on the centers of my old magnesium rims I want to run. They aren't exactly cheap, and I want to see them in person, not on line, before buying them. Time to go to some shows and swap meets... I did see some cool rides yesterday, the remenants of the Good Guys event out at National Trails Raceway. It was a good day on the bike!

Cool wheels! I like the center caps. Ive been looking for some cool ones to go on the centers of my old magnesium rims I want to run. They aren't exactly cheap, and I want to see them in person, not on line, before buying them. Time to go to some shows and swap meets... I did see some cool rides yesterday, the remenants of the Good Guys event out at National Trails Raceway. It was a good day on the bike!

When it comes to, "mags", that's the ONLY way. Unless it's a very trusted source. I found those black smoothies by accident and couldn't believe the freaking price.

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back