Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Carbs

What kinda carburetor combination are you guys running with your engine? My rebuilt engine is a 350 chevy, 030 over and small mile cam. Any suggestions for
a carburetor?

I'm running an 'old' (version 1) Road Demon, rated at 625 cfm on an Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap for my 350 Chevy with Vortec heads and mild cam. It's got all this engine needs. Runs great, very responsive. Good street combo.

Attachments

• 6 Engine.jpg
    6 Engine.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 49
I went from duel Edelbrock to a single , running is not my problem just can only get the drum breaks working correctly

Is it a basically stock 350? 600-650 cfm will be fine if so. Lots of choices, I have built several with edelbrock afv or whatever their version of the carter afv is and they work well, easy to setup, aren’t overly sensitive to environmental variations... set it and forget it. It really depends on what you want out of it.

Is it a basically stock 350? 600-650 cfm will be fine.

Good advice. Most of us want to overdo the CFM for our engines, because we think more CFMs means more power. When we over do it, the result is often a boggy engine that only runs well at higher RPMs. Here is a little formula that can serve as a guideline for street engines:

Cu In x max RPM/3456 = ideal CFM x VE=min CFM

Note: Max RPM is the max which your engine is likely to see(typically 5,500 for street) and VE is volumetric efficiency, usually 80-85% for street, or maybe 90% if you have a really tuned up engine.
For my 350 Chevy . . .
350 x 5,500 / 3456 = 557 x .85 = 473 CFM minimum
So a 600 - 650 CFM carb will be ideal for me!

Mine currently has a 550 CFM Edelbrock and works pretty well for the short time I have had it.
I am contemplating upgrading to a Holly/ Weiand - here is the simple description.
• Weiand dual plane medium rise 3x2 intake manifold
• (3) Holley 2-bbl carbs (Two 350 CFM outboard carbs, one 325 CFM center carb w/ electric choke)...
Anyone have experience with this on a late 70's mild cam'd 350 SBC? Like will it work right out of the box or does it need to be toiled with much ?
I know it will require a new smaller distributor - likely a billet MSD.
Thanks!

Mine has a 625 CFM Road Demon on an Edelbrock Air Gap RPM manifold, which is plenty for my needs, and easy to keep in tune. However, there's no denying the WOW-factor of three deuces. I see a quite a few tri-powered small block T-buckets. I guess it comes down to what your wallet can stand! :rolleyes:

Mine currently has a 550 CFM Edelbrock and works pretty well for the short time I have had it.
I am contemplating upgrading to a Holly/ Weiand - here is the simple description.
• Weiand dual plane medium rise 3x2 intake manifold
• (3) Holley 2-bbl carbs (Two 350 CFM outboard carbs, one 325 CFM center carb w/ electric choke)...
Anyone have experience with this on a late 70's mild cam'd 350 SBC? Like will it work right out of the box or does it need to be toiled with much ?
I know it will require a new smaller distributor - likely a billet MSD.
Thanks!

From all I've gleaned from YouTube University, 3 deuces are the most likely to be finicky and need lots of TLC right out of the box.

Edelbrock 4 barrels seem to be the least troublesome, slap 'em on and go have fun.

Box stock Holleys. . . . somewhere in the middle

If you want to wrestle the 3 deuces, and can't have a day at the dyno to get them tuned, at least get a wideband O2 for each collector and buy them from a carb place set up to your motor specs.

I have 6 deuces on my 409 - they are not any harder to deal with than anything else, and with progressive linkage you can get decent gas mileage. I just had to make my own linkage.

_083556_re.jpg

Attachments

• _083556_re.jpg
    _083556_re.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 29
Three deuce or tri-power are actually nice set ups. I prefer to use a primary carb with idle circuit and secondary dump carbs with progressive linkage... good mileage and lots of go power!

Three deuce or tri-power are actually nice set ups. I prefer to use a primary carb with idle circuit and secondary dump carbs with progressive linkage... good mileage and lots of go power!
Thats how the Holly Tri-Power is set up. Middle Carb is primary at 325 cfm and the two others pile on progressively at 350 each. It appears to be a nice set up with the linkage and fuel lines already to go.. Was also thinking of placing a single Tri-Power filter like they had on the old cobras. Right now my Edelbrock is fine just looking to fill up the engine space a bit with a mid high rise and cool carb setup. Had wanted a blower but now rethinking that as it is expensive and more time consuming than I need.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back