Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

CCR Windshield Frame

JetMech727

Finally got around to getting my new 18" CCR windshield frame mounted. Since I had my car already built with posts mounted Jerry at CCR had to make me a custom length lower bar for proper fit into my existing posts. The frame does not come drilled for the 2 post mount holes so that is left up to you. A steel Mr Roadster frame is slotted in that area with threaded slugs on the inside for some adjustment, but because of the this frame being solid aluminum barstock and different variations in post mount hole height drilling those are left to the installer.

Installation:
I put the frame in place, made sure car was level, checked frame level to body level and clamped frame to posts. When drilling I used a 5/16"OD drill bushing with a #10 ID pilot hole. Drill bushing was a little loose in the post hole so i took up the space with a few wraps of tape. I then drilled the frame hole with the #10 pilot, removed bushing and step drilled pilot up to 17/64 and tapped hole 5/16 - 24. The mount bolts I'm using need the last 1/16 shaved so they don't hit the glass when installed. It's ready for the glass shop now. Last picture is w/20" frame. New frame also has holes drilled for side mirrors & top mount brackets.2019-10-22 00.43.24.jpg 2019-10-22 00.40.41.jpg 2019-10-22 00.41.04.jpg 2019-10-22 00.42.50.jpg 2019-10-22 00.42.19.jpg 2019-10-22 00.44.18.jpg 2019-10-22 00.44.51.jpg 2019-10-22 00.45.17.jpg

Nice work, looks great !

:D

Thanks guys & gal. Has anyone discovered what the jackwagon who installed the glass did to the frame yet? Mind you this wasn't just any glass company. It was a company who specializes in cars. It's part of the reason I am replacing the frame. Think I can save the frame but probably not the glass. And the glass will need to be removed first. This is part of the reason I have taught myself to do as much as I can. I can not tolerate incompetence. :mad: You can bet my new frame will not be going to the same place.

Whole frame is racked to the driver side. Look at the lines in the garage door segments compared to top or bottom edge of upper frame. Door is level with floor as I quite often use it as a reference. I'm using my short square for reference. Much worse when going full length. 2019-10-22 23.43.47.jpg 2019-10-22 00.45.17.jpg

G'Day JM,
Can feel your disappointment, happens to us all when we send work out - unfortunately. Looking at the pics I'd have to say the error is a small one and really at the end of the day you're the only one that knows it's not 100% square. I would suspect it will all be forgotten by the time you've driven the car a couple of times. Love the car by the way, it's how I'd like mine to look if I was able to put one together, unfortunately I think those days are behind me. Keep up the good work, watching with interest.
Regards,

Jetmech 727, That;s the old frame that;s out of square, right?

Are the vertical sides parallel? If so, maybe you can just set one corner on the floor and give it a little push to square it up. If not, leave it alone and no one will ever notice. That's a good example of OCD!

Seems that much would be visible to the eye.

Don't know how that is possible without the uprights being not up right and straight up 90* with the floor. and if the frame is touching the upright top to bottom.

If there is a gap between the upright and the fame you will understand what I just said.

It appears that the driver's side is higher than the opposite side. Is it, or is it an illusion? Put a level on the horizontal piece and see how off it really is.

G'Day JM,
Can feel your disappointment, happens to us all when we send work out - unfortunately. Looking at the pics I'd have to say the error is a small one and really at the end of the day you're the only one that knows it's not 100% square. I would suspect it will all be forgotten by the time you've driven the car a couple of times. Love the car by the way, it's how I'd like mine to look if I was able to put one together, unfortunately I think those days are behind me. Keep up the good work, watching with interest.
Regards,

Hello AusBucket! I totally get what your saying. On the other hand how would you like to overhear me telling the pilot the same thing as you were boarding a plane? :eek::roflmao: I know, a bit extreme and just kidding but I just get frustrated with people not taking pride in their job.:( True I could live with it and have been since I got the car running in March. But to me it's unacceptable because the car is my business card of sorts and an example of my pride & workmanship. Time to fix those little things now that I'm not driving it as much. Glad you like the car and thank you for the complement. You are welcome to take her for a spin if your ever in my neck of the woods. We'll go to my favorite local 50's diner right here on Route 66 and have a good ole chicken fried steak w/mashed potatoes, plenty of gravy and maybe a pint or two.:thumbsup::D

Jetmech 727, That;s the old frame that;s out of square, right?

That is correct HenrysT. The Mr Roadster frames are a bit frail and can see how it would happen if not being careful. I could've accepted an I'm sorry we screwed up versus a here it is best we could do. I'm impressed with the CCR frame tho. It's pretty robust being made from aluminum barstock versus the Mr R thin extruded tubing. CCR frame is definitely a quality frame and at a better price imo. :thumbsup:

Are the vertical sides parallel? If so, maybe you can just set one corner on the floor and give it a little push to square it up. If not, leave it alone and no one will ever notice. That's a good example of OCD!

Not really Neshkoro. I have tried doing what you have suggested but with the glass in it makes it difficult. I was able to tweak it back into shape some. When I first got it it wouldn't even fit between the posts. I can easily tell they had issues because they removed some of the setting tape and the glass rattles in the frame and is glass against metal in some places. You can see the edges were not finished as well. Jagged in places as well. Quite honestly I'm surprised it hasn't cracked yet. LOL OCD? YES :confused: Use to be very bad.:( I've had to get out of bed many times back in my younger days because something on a car was eating at me. I'm ok now.o_O:roflmao::roflmao:

Seems that much would be visible to the eye.

It was initially Rick. I've had it off several times tweaking it. Each time gets a bit better but I think it's as far as it will go with glass in it. Funny story and a real no shitter. Bout a week after I got it running I drove it over to a buddies shop who's built some pretty high end stuff in the past. As I was pulling in I noticed his head bobbing back and forth. I was like what the H.:thumbsdown: And even stranger he didn't come to meet me at the car but disappeared for a few minutes instead. Next thing I know there he is and what does he have in his hand? A level! And proceeded to walk right past me and placed it on the frame top.:mad: I'm sure you can figure out what my reply was.:roflmao::roflmao:

Don't know how that is possible without the uprights being not up right and straight up 90* with the floor. and if the frame is touching the upright top to bottom.

If there is a gap between the upright and the fame you will understand what I just said.

I get what your saying T-Test. Initially it didn't fit at all. I can assure you my posts are vertical to the cowl & each other. To get the frame on I have to loosen one post, tighten it back which helps to square the frame up some and then when I install the two frame mount bolts the frame is flimsy enough to get pulled in flush to the post top.

It appears that the driver's side is higher than the opposite side. Is it, or is it an illusion? Put a level on the horizontal piece and see how off it really is.

You are correct Neshkoro.:thumbsup: If you read my reply to T-Test you'll understand what I go through to install it. Bottom of frame no longer sits flush with cowl and I can't use the rubber cowl gasket. With driver side against cowl I tighten that mount bolt and then go to passenger side and pull it down as far as I can and tighten that bolt. Still a small gap at the bottom but less noticeable. If it wasn't for the slots in the frame sides and the slugs being loose on the inside their would be no way to get it installed.

Okay, enough about the old frame. I think what i've decided to do is install the glass in the new CCR frame myself. Jerry was nice enough to send me a paper template for the glass. My current plan is to cut a piece of wood sheet using the paper template, make sure it fits and allows enough room for the setting tape. Then take that template to a new glass guy that some other builders have told me they've had good luck with and then do the final install myself. With this frame being aluminum it will scratch more easily and i'll take the time to tape it off and use a blanket. Like I said previously, the CCR frame imo is a much nicer frame and more robust and think it will turn out just fine. You know the old saying, second time is a charm. :roflmao::thumbsdown:o_O:D

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back