Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Color opinions

baddawgcustoms

One of the most beautiful cars ever made IMO was the 29 model A coupe done In mulberry maroon and black with buttercream wire wheels. Similar to the pics below. (Couldn't find a coupe pic that color). I've decided to go with that Color scheme on my T since I really want that original flavor as much as I can. What I haven't decided yet is engine color. I think the engine maroon would be too much, but can't decide if the cream for the wheels would look good on the engine? There will be very little chrome on the car except for v8 hub caps and Beaty rings. Bias Blackwall tires and lakes style open rear and all black chassis with a model t tank on the back. Im using black hi-boy style headers as well. I'm getting my engine ready for paint now so just looking for you guys opinion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 27
I would paint it red, like fire red. I think it will really make the maroon rich looking and give the car an overall nostalgic look. Very pleasing color combination.

Just my 2 cents worth. Paint the engine maroon, if you paint it cream, it will show every little bit of dirt and will be hard to keep clean. Painting the wheels cream with black wall tires will look great. Anything but white walls.

Will the standard automotive paint hold up on the engine? The paint I'm looking at is just a single stage acrylic enamel designed to mimic the Lacquer that was used on the old A models. All I've ever used on engines is good ol rattle can engine paint! :thumbsup:

When you go to paint the engine, shoot it first with a quality engine primer color. It give the paint a good "tooth" to hold onto, and it makes the surfaces even. Follow up with some thin color coats and it should last and look good for a long time. Hope this helps, don't forget to post pics when you do it!

Over the years and several show vehicles, I've always painted my engines the same color as my interior. I say that you should paint your engine whatever color YOU like as it is your car. As to the type of paint, I've used "One Shot" sign painters enamel with great success. It is not affected by oil or heat and you can even brush it on and it flows out very smooth because of the slower drying time.

Jim

Over the years and several show vehicles, I've always painted my engines the same color as my interior. I say that you should paint your engine whatever color YOU like as it is your car. As to the type of paint, I've used "One Shot" sign painters enamel with great success. It is not affected by oil or heat and you can even brush it on and it flows out very smooth because of the slower drying time.

Jim
Jim I found "one shot lettering enamels" online. Is that the paint you are referring to, and did you use a base primer? I had not thought of engine/interior matching but makes perfect sense for an open engine roadster, and I do intend on doing the interior black. Answers like these are exactly why I posed the question to people far better at design than myself. I think it's got me off the fence between the maroon or black. Thanks.

Dale, I've used it with primer and without and the results have been the same. The most important thing is that you block must be COMPLETELY grease free.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back