Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Complete engine overhaul

howdy

I had my engine complete overhauled but its been setting in my bucket for 3 years.It has had the cam broke in and pre ran.Its a chevy 350 Im about ready to fire it up. My question is there any thing I need do do before I fire it up? Do I need to prime the oil pump again or any thing its been setting in a 70 degree shop. Thanks for any help.

After 3 years even though its been sitting you should change the oil. condensation builds up inside regardless. And I would prime it after the oil change before you fire it just to be safe.
Also If the fuel is 3 years old you better drain that out and replace it.

Definitely prime it with oil. And change the oil, using new oil and filter, even break-in oil if you have access to it. And get ready for some leaks. Gaskets that have sat that long frequently shrink and dry out. The good news is, you're about ready to fire the beast up - wa-hooo! Let us know how it goes . . . :):thumbsup:

Essentially you are still doing a new engine startup, just with a few exceptions.

Tell us about the break-in, how did that go???

The list that is attached will be a good place to start, you can modify to your liking. It may not be obvious, but there is several days listed. Don't be hesitate to go back to the beginning and do those things that still make sense.

Note: There are several blank lines to add your own steps.

(Above the first column)
Day Before Startup
Day of Startup
After Engine Break-In and Engine Off

Attachments

• EngineStartupChecklist.pdf
    512.2 KB · Views: 21

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back