Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cooling fan switch

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Anyone have a part number for a cooling fan temp switch I get from my local parts store (ie: napa, autozone)?
One that screws in the side of the block or head.
Makes the fan come on at 185 or 190 and off at 165 or 170.

Chevy 350.

Oino,

Have you tried looking it up on napaonline.com? I did a quick search and there are a lot of choices. Don't know what type of wiring connection you need. Give it a try. You may have to enter some sort of vehicle info. to narrow it down. I sometimes use a 70 chevy nova with a 350, 4 bbl. Hope this helps.

PaulR

I have one from speedway right now. Was thinking if it ever went out... And I thought the part store might have them cheaper.

I haven't searched napa's site yet. I've done autozone and oreilly. It kept comming back with a gauge sensor.

Well if you found a real parts store with real partsmen that actually knows what a buyers guide is you could easily look one up. Standard Products is a quality brand (at least it used to be) and all their temperature switches start with TS-##. There is several pages in the book but they have what you need. Sorry I don't have a buyers guide or I would look one up for you.

After looking at the illustrated guide it is not a buyers guide. :crap: Which is why I guess they are called illustrated guides. Looks like you are back to the parts store looking for a buyers guide. The difference is a buyers guide has the specs in it not just a picture. It will have the thread type as well as the temperature that the switch comes opens or closes.

oh, and they have those switches on hundreds of Imports and domestic motors, choose 1..............the ones I get cost 16 bucks thru O'rallys (pun intended)....when I gotta get them there. I normally order 10 or so at a time.....from the mfg'er echlin.....

If you want this thing to come on at 187 and run and cool down to about 165 ot so, what I do is have the coolant switch here activate a relay that is hooked to a timer, once it turns off, the fan will run for a additional few minutes to cool the motor down even more (Timer is adjustable from a few seconds to 5 minutes....its a honeywell) in like parades or bumper to bumper traffic with the big Blower Motors that make a lot of heat. Works well with the Mountain motor also.

Be careful about finding a switch that has too low of a off temp. For instance the off at 170 will not work on a 180 degree thermostat because the engine will never get that cool again and the fan once actuated will continue to run and never shut off even when you are up to speed and getting good air through the core. Also, location of the switch plays a good part too and will act differently if installed in the head versus say in the block.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back