Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Covid Project - 80's Project T-Rod

Randy Steel

Here is a pic of my T-bucket I bought in Aug 2020...was sitting for 3 yrs. Needs a full tear down and restoration. This is going to take a couple of years and a lot of patience....wish me luck. I'll post pics as I continue to progress.

Attachments

• IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2373.jpg
    IMG_2373.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 176
Tear down beginnings

Attachments

• IMG_2477.jpg
    IMG_2477.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 171
Eliminated the Ford 9 inch towing package....lol

Attachments

• IMG_2564.jpg
    IMG_2564.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2565.jpg
    IMG_2565.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 173
Alternator was rigged with some crazy type of idler pulley contraption. I removed the alternator and performed a drivers side re-mount. The frame was in the way on the passenger side to allow movement, so I had to revert to an elevated mounting on the drivers side.

Attachments

• IMG_2598.jpg
    IMG_2598.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2599.jpg
    IMG_2599.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2600.jpg
    IMG_2600.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 174
Great project, Randy. It is a little rough, but the bones are there, so with a little work and a lot of TLC it should make a nice bucket. What will you use to replace the wooden bed box?

Nice pics.
Mine came with the exact same body you have... the "ridge" along the back is identical.
Not sure if it is an old Total Performance one or not... the glass they used to fabricate the body is that old thick orange-y stuff.
It's still strong, but if you plan on cutting a door, be sure to add some more wood for reinforcement.
I hated those "sleigh horns" sticking out at the bottom tail, so I cut 'em off and glassed over the holes.
Let the fun begin!

Thanks for the input...I may slash the "sleigh horns" as well. I noticed there's a tiny crack on the edge of them and they don't really add any appeasement to the body. Last night, I cleared the firewall and removed the body. I built my own inexpensive hanging system to elevate the body (until I get around to bodywork and paint). I simply used (4) small plant hooks, (4) straps of equal length, and two 2x2x6's.

Attachments

• IMG_2604.jpg
    IMG_2604.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2606.jpg
    IMG_2606.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2607.jpg
    IMG_2607.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 145
To replace the rear wood box...I'm considering my options about what I should do. My first thoughts were a standard fiberglass bed and lid for the fuel cell and battery. Any thoughts?

My first thoughts were a standard fiberglass bed and lid for the fuel cell and battery. Any thoughts?

That's my preference, obviously. My head is still in the 60's for hot rods, and both Grabowski and Ivo chose that look. Works for me . . . :rolleyes:

E.jpg

In addition to having the traditional look, a bed gives you lots of ways to hide things, plus a wee bit of storage if you plan it right.
Like choppedtop said, be sure to physically separate your battery from your tank... thus keeping explosions to a minimum.
I also highly recommend an Odyssey Extreme battery if you can afford one.
They are small, sealed and take up so little room I was able to mount mine under the dash.

Thanks. I’ll definitely separate the battery and tank if I mount the battery in the rear. I’ll also check out the extreme battery. It may be a good option for mounting in the bucket floor under the seat? I’m considering all my options.

I have my Odyssey 925 Under/behind the dash. Helps with keeping the cables short to the starter and ground.

The battery behind the dash sounds interesting. Any chance of sharing a pic or two on your mounting and installation?

Small block chevy lower aldernator bracket ( on ebay or speedway motors or ron pope motorsports ) :s-l500 (1).jpg It mounts the alternator on the driver's side by the frame. It costs about $20.00.

It's been a while, but I'm making some progress on my project. Here's some pictures of adding the rear shocks and pan-hard bar. Took off the rear drums and did a cleaning and evaluation. Everything is clean and the shoes and wheel cylinders look good.

Attachments

• IMG_3138_upd.jpg
    IMG_3138_upd.jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 85

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back