Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Dash Indicator Light

bobs66440

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I would like to use one indicator light for left & right directionals as well as the 4-ways. Can I hook all these into the same light? I just want one light to blink when the directionals or 4-ways are on. Thanks!

Yes you can bob I have a 66 f100 and it only has one indicator light for left and right from the factory tho I dont know how it would be wired
john

Hook the indicator light to the load side of the turn signal flasher. (before the TS switch) I would have to know what kind of switch and circuit you have for 4 ways. Might be able to use the same indicator with a diode.

It has a 3 prong flasher. Hook your dash light to the "P" terminal on he flasher. It should do what you want.

Both flashers (turn & hazard) I'm using are 2-prong. They were included in the Rebel kit I used.

OK, the link you sent says it uses one 3 prong flasher. That would be easier since the 3 prong has a terminal for the indicator. If your switch has wires for the indicators, you may have to use two. You might be able to use diodes in line from each indicator wire so they don't back feed and light all the lights.

Last edited:
OK, sorry. I'm not real good with electrics obviously lol. I'll look into it further, thanks.

Nothing to be sorry about. We are here to help each other. If you have a switch similar to the one you linked, they have indicators in the switch housing. You can use them or hook up dash mounted lights. If you use the lights on the switch you don't need any in the dash. Just a thought.

I was going to use the ones in the switch, but the body of the switch needs to be grounded for those lights to work and there's no provision for it. I guess it's supposed to ground through the clamp on the switch but my steering column is painted, and the column is connected to a fiberglass body, so there's no ground available. The main reason why I wanted to run one light is to balance out the gauge panel because I'm going to have the hi beam indicator on one side and needed one for the other side. It would be easy just to run two signal indicator lights, but that gives me one too many lights again, lol. Oh well, I'll figure out something. Thanks for your help!

Do you have a horn button on your steering column? If so, does it blow the horn? If it does then you have a grounded column because the horn button connects the horn relay to ground competing the circuit to allow the horn to blow. Even though your column is painted you can clear off some paint behind the mount of the switch for a ground.

Jim

P.S. If you find that the column is not grounded you can easily attach a ground wire from the bottom of the column to the frame or any other suitable grounding source.

Last edited:
I was going to use the ones in the switch, but the body of the switch needs to be grounded for those lights to work and there's no provision for it. I guess it's supposed to ground through the clamp on the switch but my steering column is painted, and the column is connected to a fiberglass body, so there's no ground available. The main reason why I wanted to run one light is to balance out the gauge panel because I'm going to have the hi beam indicator on one side and needed one for the other side. It would be easy just to run two signal indicator lights, but that gives me one too many lights again, lol. Oh well, I'll figure out something. Thanks for your help!

If its a question of trying to remain symmetrical why not add a 4th light like a low oil pressure warning light?

If all you are looking for is symmetry, just put a lamp in that does nothing.

OR ...put both t/s lamps in the center (or wherever) right next to each other. You can get LED lamps with two colors in one bulb. That might be cool.

Here's what i did:
turn%2520light%2520001.jpg

Excuse the bad writing, the cat is trying to eat my pencil. Just pick up the left and right turn signals somewhere and couple them thru diodes to one light. Any cheap diode is fine, go to Radio Shack, 1N4001, 4004, etc. Observe polarity: the stripe end of the diode goes toward the bulb. You can use a 12v LED or an incandescent bulb. The LED will last forever.

Here's what i did:
turn%2520light%2520001.jpg

Excuse the bad writing, the cat is trying to eat my pencil. Just pick up the left and right turn signals somewhere and couple them thru diodes to one light. Any cheap diode is fine, go to Radio Shack, 1N4001, 4004, etc. Observe polarity: the stripe end of the diode goes toward the bulb. You can use a 12v LED or an incandescent bulb. The LED will last forever.
DING DING DING! We have a winner! LOL. That's what I need, a sketch with part numbers and source names ha ha ha! Thank you. tompen suggested it first and I wanted to do it, but I needed a description for dummies! The dual color indicator sounds great too. I will have to look into that...thanks all for your help and suggestions!

Jim, my steering column is a new basic Ididit piece that I am adapting a Corvair wheel to. I would like to have the original horn button work but I'll have to figure out how to get a ground to the hub. Grounding the tube is easy as you say, but I'll have to put some thought into some type of mechanism for the ground...

Now for another dumb question. How do I physically install these inline? Do they need to be soldered?

Bob
Depends on what diodes you get. Probably will have small solid wires to connect. You might be able to use solderless connectors but would be better to solder and then insulate with tape so no chance of shorting to ground. Remember, current will flow one way and not the other way. Important they are in the circuit correctly.
Tom

I went to Radio Shack and got four 1N4001's ( a couple to experiment with). The guy said I can use small butt connectors, I'll try that. If it doesn't work I'll solder them. Thanks!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back