Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Dropped in the motor and tranny today!

tfeverfred

yep! Got her looking like a darn HOT ROD now!:dance: All I have is the before shot of the motor tonight. Sorry guys.:eek: I was so busy and the heat index was 106 today! Trust me, I had other things on my mind beside picking up that camera. So, here is before.

23T_engine_before0001.jpg

Not much to look at, but she ran like a top and I got what I think is a good price. Upon further inspection, it turned out that it had been recently rebuilt! I called my junkyard guy and thanked him for looking out for me.

So, I spent about 4 hours today getting the block ready for paint. I left the tranny case in it's raw state for effect and it gives the power train an old school look. If I was building a show ride, I would have painted the tranny as well, but I'm not, so I didn't. It came out very well. I painted the engine Ford red.:eek: I didn't know Ford had used red on their engines. Has this been going on for a while? It's been a long time since I peeped under the hood of a newer car. I used Duracolor engine enamel with the ceramic formula. It's rated at 500 degrees and looks VERY good. Again, if I had been doing a show ride, I would have used real paint, but..... well, you know the rest.

Once the engine and tranny were bolted together, they literally fell into place! Cudos to the boys and girls at Total! I did the work at a shop of a guy who is across the street from where I work. He is a mechanic and had everything I need, lift, air tools, etc. :rolleyes: One of his customers came in for some work and ended up having a thousand questions, which I was more than happy to answer. It still amazes me how many people know nothig about hot rods. One lady was amazed that I was going to drive it on the street! She thought I was building a race car.:lol: It made me realize that we are a minority in the car world and I'm ever so glad to be a member.

Afterwards, I pushed her back to my work and started to install all the shiney stuff I have been scrounging over the last few months. I'm sure you'll spot what is missing, but it's on the way and will be installed soon.

Again, sorry for not having pics up yet, :eek:but it began to storm out of nowhere and I had gotten tired and still have a few things to put on the engine. I'll have pics up tomorrw afternoon.

Dude! i'm so pumped for you! It must feel so great to accualy have the powerplant between the frame rails!

keep kicking ass and chipping away at the project, you'll be on the road in no time.

I'm getting ready to clean up a few things and take some pics in the sunlight. I'll post pics soon. Thanks, Nailbomb. You're right, I got so stoked when that engine and tranny dropped in. Me and the guy who helped me just sat back and looked at her for a while. This was a MAJOR step on the road to completion.

Pics coming soon!

I started another thread in the engine section. i had forgotten I had started this one. Darn heat! Tomorrow it's going to be 103 with a heat index of 110! Heaven help us.:neutral:

good for you fred !!!! :dance: i bet its a great feeling to see the motor in place

im ordering my motor end of month, i will getting a new motor from Phoenix Engine Rebuilders they have a great price for a turn key motor it takes 6 to 8 weeks to build here is the link if ya wanna check it out

http://www.phoenixengine.com/Chevy-01.html

im going with the 2 bolt cause i wont be doing any racing
you can get chrome oil pan for no extra $ i will also get 75.00 $
credit for not taking any headers ( they dont carry bucket pipes )
so im looking at 3400.00 total to my shop not a bad price with all the chrome and its new :rolleyes: im also going with jegs tranny there Street Smart Package is only 1000.00 $ and thats tranny converter and dip stick
sorry fred i got off on my own stuff but
congrats to you you have made great progress !!!!!

Thanks, Datona. I always like to hear what other people are doing. Information is good to have and everyone benefits. That sounds like a great deal on that turnkey motor. I'm going to go with what I have, but I'll start a swear jar and put away the coins for an upgrade. Knowing what is out there is cool.

Yea, it's a great feeling to have the powerplant installed. After I get the stuff to complete it, I'll be working towards firing her up. I know she runs, but I won't be happy till she runs in my bucket. October 12 will be a year into the build. I'd like to fire her off that day. We'll she how it goes.

Thanks again. The compliments from you guys mean a lot.:dance:

Well Fred, I finally mounted by engine and tranny yesterday. Had to rework my transmission mount in order to get it to fit. Worked out just fine. Need to get a drive shaft made for it. I'm starting to disassemble everything now so I can paint it this weekend. I'll take pictures and post.

thomas:)

Sounds great, Thomas! You're moving right along. I'll keep an eye out for the pics.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back