Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Early Mustang Column

sorry, this forum's posting set up is a bit strange. my question is hidden below the big ol' picture and i didn't fix it before the timer ran out on editing time. jeez.
Has anyone used a modified early Mustang column in their T?

I'm not aware of one. Most have used the GM columns, or an aftermarket one. The GM's wiring harness is pretty user friendly. Don't know about the Mustang's.

I'm not aware of one. Most have used the GM columns, or an aftermarket one. The GM's wiring harness is pretty user friendly. Don't know about the Mustang's.

i may have a lead on one at a fair price. i likely wouldn't use the wiring although i see no reason why i couldn't. for horn and directionals i could use switches on the dash, maybe an accessory column-mount switch.

i asked because i don't have the part in my hands and wonder what someone might do about the steering shaft. it reminds me of the corvair and wonder if disconnected from the box would the shaft be unsupported.

Regardless, you'll need some type of column bracket to support it at the dashboard. Also, at the firewall I used this little bracket from Speedway. Works great.

View attachment 22427

as it happens i was flipping through their catalog just last night before bed.

i may need this little item (below) too and perhaps some additional factory parts that may not come with the column for sale.

65-73 Mustang Steering Column Lower bearing Retrofit for R&P or Borgeson 3/4" | eBay

i may go look at the column this week but from the pictures it looks like it's missing the upper part which may be important to stabilize the shaft.

65 stang - Copy.jpg

Okay got ya, Turn signal switch mounting plate. Ford par t#C5DZ-3511-A
Steering-column-flange-plate-the-housing-that-your-turn-signal-switch-mounts-1965-72-C5DZ-3511_2400x.jpg

Looks like it fits into the 'cup' at the top of the shaft just behind the wheel (PN 3790). It all probably functions to help support the shaft and center it. Without the cup part it probably doesn't help with supporting the column.

I don't know if this might help. I think my steering column is from a 1967 Ford F100,
so it might be very similar.

FP01_SteeringColumnUpper_00016.jpg
FP01_SteeringColumnUpper_05331.jpg
2WDsteering-column.jpg

I also have a wiring diagram that I used when wiring my car.

Looks like it fits into the 'cup' at the top of the shaft just behind the wheel (PN 3790). It all probably functions to help support the shaft and center it. Without the cup part it probably doesn't help with supporting the column.

i have a hunch you're right. since it might be the seller doesn't have the parts needed i wonder how quickly this might become pricey; he's only asking 40 bucks but i'm not familiar with the going rate of collector car stuff like this or how hard it is to get.

I don't know if this might help. I think my steering column is from a 1967 Ford F100,
so it might be very similar.

View attachment 22436
View attachment 22435
View attachment 22434

I also have a wiring diagram that I used when wiring my car.
heck, that's a better diagram than i found for the mustang. i would imagine the systems operate pretty much identically and it looks like that part i'm asking about may be pretty important indeed enven if i don't use the factory horn and directionals. thanks!

i might buy the column anyway (40 bucks) assuming it's not obvious i cannot use it. if it turns up bust i can sell it off.

I found, and you probably will too, that during the course of building your bucket, you’re going to buy any number of things you’ll never use. You see something, you think you can use it, you buy it and then change your design direction! I’m sure others have done that, too.

I found, and you probably will too, that during the course of building your bucket, you’re going to buy any number of things you’ll never use. You see something, you think you can use it, you buy it and then change your design direction! I’m sure others have done that, too.

ain't that the truth. bought a rear end i wasn't too keen on anyway (too new for a period car) and was lucky to resell. bought valve covers (real neat) but not exactly what i wanted. will keep them. but i realize there's just going to be times i buy something and i'm stuck with it or lose money. just want to minimize those occurrances. this sort of thing has happened back when i was working on muscle cars too. part of the hobby.

Keep the shaft and use a SS tube (round bath grab bar) and find bearings or make bronze bushings and that way you have a custom coloum that you know the parts and where to find them.
People use to keep the same box and coloum (Ford Trucks) but later used Mustang boxes ('67-'70 ish) and fabbed or bought coloums.
Make your own support from dash or floor like TP had. Upper pickture.

I bounced around in the used market then Spirit had a polished tilt unit on sale so I spent the required money! Been on the shelf for a couple years but I’m ALMOST ready for it!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back