Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Electric motors help

RPM

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Sponsor
We have bought an automatic band saw. Pretty big machine, the problem is it it 220-240 three phase we only have single phase power. Now I know they make all kinds of power converters. I just don't know which one I need. The saw is 6.5hp

Yep. You're gonna need a healthy converter. Rotary converters, like this one: are a good choice, as they are more rugged and cheaper than the electronic ones. Call the maker and tell them what you are doing and get their recommendation for which model. They can also tell you what size wire and breaker you will need to feed it. Let me know what you decide. It's been a long time since I bought one of these.

Don't know what happened to my post, but here's the link:

ebay.com/itm/PL-10-Pro-Line-10HP-Rotary-Phase-Converter-Built-In-Starter-Made-In-USA-/290900842912?hash=item43bb0a99a0:g:eqAAAOSw42JWEFPX

...you may have to copy that and paste it. The link doesn't seem to work.

Well, good grief, just go to the makers website: www.northamericaphaseconverters.com
and check their PL line. And buy on eBay for best price.

Last edited:
Is there three phase available to your shop? If so, if you have any intent of adding more equipment, it may be worth investigating the cost is of a transformer, etc. those converters can get pricey. Some motors can be strapped for single phase too. Have you pulled the plate off of the wiring box on the motor and checked?

Is there three phase available to your shop? If so, if you have any intent of adding more equipment, it may be worth investigating the cost is of a transformer, etc. those converters can get pricey. Some motors can be strapped for single phase too. Have you pulled the plate off of the wiring box on the motor and checked?

The power company wants about $15,000 to set and run 3 phase. That does not include an electrian to run from a meter to the panel. Then run to the machine.

I'd try this first Ron, most can be changed by swapping wires internally and maybe a piece added to make it work. The company you bought it from or the Mfg. help line maybe could help further. Not worth that much money to convert to 3 phase power and not use all equipment at the same time or never buy anything else 3 phase..

I have used a spedestar PC1-75 for a 7.5 hp 3 phase motor from a place called Driveswarehouse.com it was 1200 shipped back in 2012. Same thing the guys wanted a 3 phase conveyor but didn't want to run the 3 phase. This was the cheapest option.

That's a lot to change to three phase. It is supposed to be less expensive per killawatt hour because it is a balanced load and no waste, but it would take a long time to recover that. Another option could be changing the motor. You may be able to find a re winder who will work a deal with you in exchange for yours if it isn't adaptable...

If the motor can be re strapped for single phase, you will likely have to add a start capacitor and maybe a run capacitor as well, depending on how the armature is configured. The wiring schematic on the motor should shed some light.

That's a lot to change to three phase. It is supposed to be less expensive per killawatt hour because it is a balanced load and no waste, but it would take a long time to recover that. Another option could be changing the motor. You may be able to find a re winder who will work a deal with you in exchange for yours if it isn't adaptable...

This saw has a total of 4 motors on it so it is more complicated then just swapping out a motor. Then It has counters and controls on it. I appreciate all the help.

The spedestar will run multiple loads. That spiral conveyor had some limit switches that ran some contactors that would reverse the motor if certain conditions were met. I went on their website and now it sells for $999. The rotary converters are great also. I used one at my old house to run a mill.

This saw has a total of 4 motors on it so it is more complicated then just swapping out a motor. Then It has counters and controls on it. I appreciate all the help.
Ok, I would be interested to hear the outcome, and what you end up doing to resolve it. If you post the model and serial info, maybe we could find some info about what is recommended to make it run if you are still looking. Best of luck!

All of the data plates, stickers are gone and it has been painted over. It is an automatic band saw. You put the material to be cut in, set the amount of peices you want and walk away. It stops when it has them all cut or it runs out of material.

Next problem is it was made in the UK and the company is out of business. I did find a company there that has an owners manual for it. So I am waiting for that.

It looks like a nice machine. A lot of time there is a schematic on the inside of the door or cover plate on the control box or the motor wiring compartment. I have only messed with one machine that used a rotary phase converter and it was sized according to the hp rating of the motor. I am not sure what you will run into on a complex machine with numerous motors. I wonder if they are all three phase and then there are the controls, which are likely single phase, but without a schematic, hard to tell. I did a little reading out of queriosity, and it seems that a single rotary phase converter can operate multiple motors as long as they don't have to start simutaneously and don't exceed the converters ratings. There also are different ones based on the quality of the power required, ie: computer controls, etc....Other than the cost, that may be your best resolve if the machine isn't internally adaptable to single phase. I do know that most electrical equipment is different overseas, even simple devices like hair dryers are 220v, so I wouldn't assume anything. You need a schematic or you will need to verify each component to see what it needs.

Ron,

I went through the same drill when I moved to rural Arkansas some years ago. I did a lot of research as I didn't have any idea what my power options were going to be and I have a lot of 3 Phase equipment.
3 Engine lathes
2 Vertical mills
1 Horizontal Mill
1 5HP Hydraulic powered vertical press break
1 3PH Mig welder
1 5HP Vertical band saw
My best option was the Rotary Phase Converter. The run at around 98% efficiency where as the electronic ones are considerately less. Motors will run but they lose a bit of RPM and power. If you ever consider buying another piece of equipment that is 3PH then the Rotary style is what you want. You can run multiple electric motors as long as the total HP does not exceed the converter motor size. As stated earlier, you will just need to start one machine at a time. There are plenty of DIY planes and sites on various forums but as time is money I would just buy one. Might even pick one up off Craig's List.

Just so you'll know, once I got moved I talked to the power company and they looked at the distance and said, No Charge either at my house if I built a shop or at the rental building. The house was about a 100 yard distance from the highway and would require the setting of two pole. The shop was probably around 30 yards and they did set a mid pole after core drilling solid rock. Hung a small transform for the third leg and lit me up. At some point I will have to build a building or sell everything as I don't want to keep the rental building forever. Not sure what they will say next time I ask as the field engineer I worked with has retired. I could be faced with just buying a converter but that's OK. I would step up and get more converter then you need as you might run across a deal you can't pass up. I have listed a few links below that I studied at the time so maybe that will give you some insight. Good luck with your project.

George

Phase Converter - Frequently Asked Questions
Phase Converter Frequently Asked Questions

Phase-A-Matic, Inc
Rotary Phase Converter, Static Phase Converter, and CNC Phase Converters - Phase-A-Matic

American Rotary
American Rotary

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back