Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Engine Build?

Robbie

So I've owned my t-bucket for a couple years now and am starting to replace basic parts. The engine hasn't completely been running right, so I'm going down the possible list (spark plugs, ignition, compression, etc...).
I had believed that I owned a 1983 mustang 302, but it turns out that I have a 1986 Thunderbird 302 and a 1983 mustang manifold. The Thunderbird engine was a fuel injected, but now the mustang manifold makes it a 4 barrel carburetor. The carburetor is an Edelbrock/Weber 1411.
I'm newish to any type engine work, but I do know that just because it fits doesn't mean it works. Does anyone know if this combination is helping or hurting the performance? Or is there a way to find out if this block/manifold/carb combination is ideal?

So I've owned my t-bucket for a couple years now and am starting to replace basic parts. The engine hasn't completely been running right, so I'm going down the possible list (spark plugs, ignition, compression, etc...).
I had believed that I owned a 1983 mustang 302, but it turns out that I have a 1986 Thunderbird 302 and a 1983 mustang manifold. The Thunderbird engine was a fuel injected, but now the mustang manifold makes it a 4 barrel carburetor. The carburetor is an Edelbrock/Weber 1411.
I'm newish to any type engine work, but I do know that just because it fits doesn't mean it works. Does anyone know if this combination is helping or hurting the performance? Or is there a way to find out if this block/manifold/carb combination is ideal?
You need to know a lot more about the engine like what cam is in it and the general overall condition of it, compression, etc. it will be next to impossible to accurately help without knowing. If it is a fuel injected engine, it is intended to have a computer constantly monitor and change timing and fuel ratio. Just throwing a carb and distributor on it will make it very hard to make it run right. The cam, intake, carb, distributor need to be matched to get it to run efficiently. I know several guys who bought a late model fuel injected engine and bought a high dollar intake to fit and none of them run right. They battle timing issues, preignition, etc...

When I did my research I found that fuel injected cams are different than carb cams. When I did my 302 I replaced the cam with a Summit 4400 which is meant for a carb engine.

theres plenty if info out there on these combo, do a search. Read up on your combo, and soak up all the info you can. Every combo has its strenghts and weaknesses.
As far as not running right, could be 1 thing, could be a combination of things. He's right, EFI and Non-EFI Tech don't play nice together.
I'd say if the T-bird 302 was de-EFI'ed correctly, should run correctly. Just for troubleshooting, I would give it a good, basic Tuneup, and then go from there. Might be something simple as fuel, timing, possibly a dirty aircleaner, maybe even a vacuum line off or leaking....

When I did my research I found that fuel injected cams are different than carb cams. When I did my 302 I replaced the cam with a Summit 4400 which is meant for a carb engine.
A very common mistake alot of folks overlook! :thumbsup:

Did the engine run right when you first built it? If so, look for basic tuning issues. Check the exhaust temperature from each cylinder to see if you have a weak or dead one, then go from there. That's the easiest, quickest way I can think of. Look at the spark plugs, use a vacuum gauge, etc...

Have a COMPETENT mechanic look at it. If you don't know what you have, no one here can answer your questions.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back