Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Engine identification 327 ?

Guy

Just got a barn find sitting 10 years , T Bucket I am trying to identify the engine I have looked up online but I don't have any of the numbers they state are for my engine maybe I am not reading the correct numbers , : passenger side from of cylinder head I have this best that I can read

V0316T8F
T9F727258

Look at the side of the block , if it reads3970010 , it's a 350. ( That's the numbers cast in the block ) there's more cast numbers beside the dist on the drivers side
V is going mi.
0316 is March 16
TBF ( instead of T8 F) plus the 9 (T9) out of the vin is probably 1979 K-10 pickup 350.....
And no ,the 0010 is just a 350 , could be 2- bolt or 4- bolt main,no special nickle content and all that B.S.

so you think its a 350 ? , I am looking at the very front of the block passenger side

Look at the side of the block , if it reads3970010 , it's a 350. ( That's the numbers cast in the block ) there's more cast numbers beside the dist on the drivers side
V is going mi.
0316 is March 16
TBF ( instead of T8 F) plus the 9 (T9) out of the vin is probably 1979 K-10 pickup 350.....
And no ,the 0010 is just a 350 , could be 2- bolt or 4- bolt main,no special nickle content and all that B.S.
your right so is that good has the 3970010

Can you see the rear of the crank? Where the flywheel bolts on to? 283's have roundish flange all others are squareish. You can go by the block no# IF it's all original or original replacements. Does it turn over? get a small plastic hose and stick it in the spark plug hole and see if you can determine the stroke. Reference: Chevy Engine Block Casting Numbers

Can you see the rear of the crank? Where the flywheel bolts on to? 283's have roundish flange all others are squareish. You can go by the block no# IF it's all original or original replacements. Does it turn over? get a small plastic hose and stick it in the spark plug hole and see if you can determine the stroke. Reference: Chevy Engine Block Casting Numbers
It turns over with out plugs in it I sprayed some mystery oil in there before cranking and after going to try and start it tomorrow let me know if you see smoke lol

Before you try to start that motor , make sure it has CLEAN oil in it and a fresh filter , if it was me , I'd pull the dist and find a priming tool and prime it ... Make damn sure the carb has a return spring.......What did the old plugs look like ??

Just a little perspective on your quest for engine I..D. since there inception , there have been 100 million sbc engines produced ( as of ,2010). From 69 thru 80 the majority of those were 350's , take those huge numbers plus the 40 years that have passed and all the upgrades and rebuilds that have been done , you're fortunate to know that your block started life as a 350 ....

Reactions: Guy
I have changed the oil & filter , plugs are perfect . Have a lot of work to do since I fly and work on aircraft this should be on the road the way it was as built but time and money will correct it

Before you try to start that motor , make sure it has CLEAN oil in it and a fresh filter , if it was me , I'd pull the dist and find a priming tool and prime it ... Make damn sure the carb has a return spring.......What did the old plugs look like ??
It had oil pressure turning it over without plugs in it

Was it clean ? Did you change the filter ? Is there a return spring on the carb ? What did the plugs look like ?
You want help , we need information .!.

Was it clean ? Did you change the filter ? Is there a return spring on the carb ? What did the plugs look like ?
You want help , we need information .!.
Yes oil was clean only has 1400 miles on it, carbs are returning like they should plugs clean , I changed oil & filter , do some more on it tomorrow

I do not want to hijack this thread, but can anyone decode the VIN on my 350 Chevy engine.
46453718895_dabbcedd75_b.jpg
dATE cODE 1[/url] by rbswelder[/IMG]

I know:
V=Flint
06=June
19=19th
1DJ=???????
SP=Sam Privet (The rebuilder)

your looking at the wrong numbers like i did on the drivers side look at the block just before the bell housing

Back of block , drivers side flange , casting number ,&DATE , combineccwith stamped engine code gives you a chance of decoding ......
Mark , what's up with those water pump gaskets ??

While this doesn't necessarily apply in every case , think about this . If your engine came from a donor car , that car was probably wrecked or worn out , in most cases the motor needed to be rebuilt , if that's the case , what possible difference does it make if it came from a dump truck or a corvette ? A block is a block is a block !.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back