Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Estimating weight distribution

roadmonster

I am having my rear spring eyes reversed and the spring lowered 2-2 1/2". I would like to know how much weight the spring actually bears because it is pretty stiff as is.

The car has a very short (93") wheelbase and the engine's center of balance is 26" behind the front axle. I estimate the car's CG to be about 43" from the front and 50" from the rear.

Has anyone actually weighed their car? Most Ts seem to weigh 1600-1900lbs according to their owners. I suspect mine is relatively light due to its compact dimensions. Does anyone know standard weights of 350/350, 9" Ford rear, axles, radiator, etc.?

I am having my rear spring eyes reversed and the spring lowered 2-2 1/2". I would like to know how much weight the spring actually bears because it is pretty stiff as is.

The car has a very short (93") wheelbase and the engine's center of balance is 26" behind the front axle. I estimate the car's CG to be about 43" from the front and 50" from the rear.

Has anyone actually weighed their car? Most Ts seem to weigh 1600-1900lbs according to their owners. I suspect mine is relatively light due to its compact dimensions. Does anyone know standard weights of 350/350, 9" Ford rear, axles, radiator, etc.?
I am not sure about that, but from what I have learned about transverse springs: they should deflect without having to apply much force. The example I got was: with the car on the ground, put your foot on the frame and it should deflect without much force. If not, remove some leafs. The longer ones are the better ones to keep, they are softer. Real scientific, right? Hope that helps!

I have seen several Ts on race car scales, and because the engines set so far back, those cars had just about the same weight on all 4 wheels.
My engine is right up against the radiator so it would have more forward bias. I guess I'll just do the math for a 2nd class lever 93" long with the entire weight 43" from the fulcrum.

My car was weighed on a set of race scales where it gives you the weight of each tire along with the total weight, diagonal weight and each axle weight. My car has a 108" wheelbase and has a total weight of 1937# with the rear weighing 50# more than the front.

Jim

Subtracting front wheels and suspension, radiator, grille shell, headlights, and shocks (all supported at fulcrum) and rear wheels and axle (unsprung), it looks like 500-600lbs at the rear wheels. High-arch Model A spring is a little stiff for this. I think reversing the eyes and cutting the next leaf back a couple of inches will drop it 2" and give a little better ride.

There is a steel recycler nearby but I didn't think of a truck stop. Actual weight would be a good first step.

I have had all of my T-buckets weighed, and have watched as friends have had their cars weighted as well. They all come out being very close to 50% - 50% front to rear, sometimes with 50 - 100 lbs or so more in one direction. My 409 T weighs 2220 lbs., the blue one 2010 lbs., the wife's pink one is closer to 1800 - 1900 lbs. Usually large car shows will have some vendor showing off his 4 corner scale system by letting people get their cars weighed for free. There is a moving and storage place nearby (Mayflower) with a large truck scale. They will let people put their whole car on, or just one axle at a time, and give a certified weight for about $10.00.

Weigh it.
If the car is apart and you can't easily get it to some scales, you could use a floor jack with a cross beam or 2 jacks to find the pivot point front to rear of the car. From there, measure to the front and rear axles to get a percentage, but you need to figure out the total weight first to be accurate. I am not sure how much difference 1-200 pounds would make(if you figure the average sbc t is 1800-2000), that's basically a passenger. I'm sure you could come close adding the advertised weights of the components on your car, and the fluids, but it would take some digging to find it all. The highway patrol and DOT also have portable scales they carry to burn truckers. I don't know if they would help you unless you know one? Feed, farm supply, aggregate, salvage, and some old fashioned hardware stores come to mind for alternatives. Propane is also sold by weight at some places. I'm sure you know this, but don't include the axle and wheels to figure for springs.

If you take total weight and divide it in half you will be real close. Like Fletcherson said, only figure the suspended weight, but don't forget to figure in the passenger weight too. Pretend your going to put coil overs on it, and most big companies that sell shocks will have a website that tells how to figure out corner weight. You still need to know the total weight for the chart/formula, and percentages of front and rear axles. Truck stop is best place to weigh. They can give you total weight and axle weight. I would go inside first to work out the details.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back