Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Facing reality . . .

Spanky

Staff member
Well . . .somebody has to talk about it. I'm speaking of my advancing years and my ability to drive my T-bucket. At 80 years of age I know my reflexes and strength are diminished. At what point do I decide that I should no longer play in the traffic where I am a potential risk to my own life and health, and - heaven forbid - a danger to others? I already try to limit my excursions to local roads and byways and so far I still seem to have good control of my T. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• Grampsie relaxes.jpg
    Grampsie relaxes.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 8
Wow, what a loaded question. Hard one for me to answer, but I will give you my humble opinion.
I would say, ask yourself these question (and they are for you to answer not for you to post here)...

1) Do you feel you are a safe driver (as in not too fast or too slow, keeping your distance from the vehicle in front of you)? I think you probably are since you only drive your T to local roads.
2) Are you also considering not driving your regular car?
3) Are other cautious of being in the car while you are driving (regular car or bucket)?
4) Do you feel you could pass a driver's competency test, if needed?

Those are the questions that came to mind, but you may think of others.
Bottom line, if you still enjoy driving your bucket and are able to steer and stop her (allowing a little extra space between you and the next guy to give you extra response time), then continue to enjoy her.

I’m 79 and still trying to build mine. I think I will be ok to drive local roads and think my car will be noticed by other drivers for being so different from what they are expecting to see on the road. You just have to be cautious with your right toot! Things happen real fast with these little cars as you all know. I will be ok in my opinion but my wife’s opinion may differ!

Spanky I am 80 years old also and I just ran the lead my Cedan about 500 miles on a FUN RUN in Artesia, Carlsbad, & Roswell I think I was OK but on the other hand,,,,, i did sell my Motor Home because I think I was not up to driving it or getting it ready for the road........In my case I think I can still enjoy the Bucket or the Cedan.......and my F150 but like Longjohn my wife may have other answers.......That is me in front.......some rain happened......

Attachments

• thumbnail_20240921_114231.jpg
    thumbnail_20240921_114231.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail_20240921_113519.jpg
    thumbnail_20240921_113519.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 6
I quit riding motorcycles after 45 years about 10 years ago. I no longer felt safe and my reaction time was slowing. I know I cannot drive as good. The main problem with my truck is the pedals (straight shift) easy to get your feet tangled up. I try to be extra careful and drive it like it is a bike. Extra distance between vehicles, stay off turnpikes, and stay focused.

I do have a couple of safety suggestions. 1. Run with your headlights on or get a nostalgia yellow passing light (got one on the truck and the 32). No way you cannot see it but I still have people pull out in front of me.
2. Get some good led taillights they really show up. The 32 has 41 chevy led taillights, 2 harley turn signals mounted under the gas tank that only work with brake and turn, and a 3rd brake light. I am sure you have seen the blinking brake lights that would be great on a T.

I am going to keep on trucking as long as I can and try not to get hit. We are driving in a distracted world that is for sure.

I quit riding motorcycles after 45 years about 10 years ago. I no longer felt safe and my reaction time was slowing. I know I cannot drive as good. The main problem with my truck is the pedals (straight shift) easy to get your feet tangled up. I try to be extra careful and drive it like it is a bike. Extra distance between vehicles, stay off turnpikes, and stay focused.

I do have a couple of safety suggestions. 1. Run with your headlights on or get a nostalgia yellow passing light (got one on the truck and the 32). No way you cannot see it but I still have people pull out in front of me.
2. Get some good led taillights they really show up. The 32 has 41 chevy led taillights, 2 harley turn signals mounted under the gas tank that only work with brake and turn, and a 3rd brake light. I am sure you have seen the blinking brake lights that would be great on a T.

I am going to keep on trucking as long as I can and try not to get hit. We are driving in a distracted world that is for sure.
Some great safety suggestions we can all use to be seen easier. 👍

To answer the earlier questions from our WebMistess . . .

1) Do you feel you are a safe driver (as in not too fast or too slow, keeping your distance from the vehicle in front of you)? Yes, I consider myself a safe driver.
2) Are you also considering not driving your regular car? No, not ready to give up driving yet.
3) Are other cautious of being in the car while you are driving (regular car or bucket)? People don't seem to avoid my driving.
4) Do you feel you could pass a driver's competency test, if needed? Definitely could!

At this point I will continue to enjoy driving my T-bucket, but I am watchful for signs that I may be losing my competency as a driver.

Attachments

• H.jpg
    H.jpg
    681.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
You only live once.
Don't deny your pleasures in life.
You can sleep when you die.
Have no regrets as you have done your best to be honest with yourself.
Never do anything that you would be ashamed of.
Growing old is mandatory but growing up isn't.
Live life to the fullest. Only you know your limitations.

My few words of wisdom from someone who is not perfect but accepting.

Arrrr!😇

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back