Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Firewall

Spanky

Staff member
I notice some of you have shiny stuff on your firewall. I am considering using mirrored acrylic for mine, and was wondering what's the best way to make a template for it? Also, how do you fasten it to the firewall? All suggestions appreciated!
LeesT.jpg

I would go for chrome vinyl wrap. If you change your mind its easy to take off. Just as a by the by, I have recently done my window sills (internal ones) in gloss white vinyl wrap for cars. Its really easy to work with. You can reposition it; bubbles and creases either press out or can be sorted with a heat gun, and it leaves no glue residue. Warraty is for 10 years, external use.

Sills now look like a white lacquered finish.

G

I used a piece of old aluminum sign, about 1/8" thick...sanded it almost to the point of being able to polish it, but went ahead and gave it a brushed look with red scrotchbrite instead. Then I gave it two coats of lacquer clear to seal it.
I had planned on a full polish but it had a few minor flaws.
I liked the brushed look anyway so I ran with it instead.
Used some poster board to make a good fitting template and transfered the shape over to the aluminum. Cut it with a jigsaw just a little outside the mark and sanded it to size to better control the final shape.
Stainless screws hold it to the wooden firewall.

20170820_141738cc.jpg

I used a piece of old aluminum sign, about 1/8" thick...sanded it almost to the point of being able to polish it, but went ahead and gave it a brushed look with red scrotchbrite instead. Then I gave it two coats of lacquer clear to seal it.
Used some poster board to make a good fitting template and transfered the shape over to the aluminum. Cut it with a jigsaw just a little outside the mark and sanded it to size to better control the final shape.

View attachment 13904
Very nice piece of work. The chrome band behind it really sets it off.

Jim

Mine is actually a piece of 1/8" steel plate that is chromed. That's how I acquired it. It was bolted to the tub with button head bolts. It was the only thing between the engine and passenger as the tub was cut out with only about a 1-1/2" flange around the perimeter. I've since changed the tub to have a steel reinforced glass firewall, but plan on reusing the chrome plate and actually incorporated the steel reinforcements inside the tub so they are bolted to it, sandwiching the now glass tub. I plan to use some silicone to prevent any vibration or rattles.

View attachment 13904
Love the cowl trim!!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back