Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Flag Day

Spanky

Staff member
Our flag was born during the war for independence from Great Britain. A group of colonial patriots – the Sons of Liberty - formed to resist the tyranny of the mother country. After Britain pushed many oppressive taxation acts without representation, the frustrated Sons of Liberty began their passionate protest. They were the earliest users of stripes in a flag, and their group consisted of the original Tea Party members, who famously threw chests of tea overboard in Boston Harbor. The Sons of Liberty’s flag consisted of fewer stripes, though the pattern was still the same, allowing the flag to display horizontally or vertically.

A New Jersey Congressman and Declaration of Independence signer, Francis Hopkinson is generally regarded as the designer of the original design for the US flag. Many believe that Hopkinson drew inspiration from the pattern used for the Sons of Liberty’s flag, establishing the striped design of the American flag known today. Betsy Ross, a Philadelphian seamstress who made flags for the Pennsylvania Navy, then sewed this design.

The current American flag consists of 13 alternating red and white stripes, representing the 13 original colonies. The 50 white stars against a blue field represent the 50 states. Additionally, each color of the American flag has meaning. Red stands for bravery and valor, white stands for innocence and purity, and blue defines perseverance, vigilance, and justice.

Our flag was born during the war for independence from Great Britain. A group of colonial patriots – the Sons of Liberty - formed to resist the tyranny of the mother country. After Britain pushed many oppressive taxation acts without representation, the frustrated Sons of Liberty began their passionate protest. They were the earliest users of stripes in a flag, and their group consisted of the original Tea Party members, who famously threw chests of tea overboard in Boston Harbor. The Sons of Liberty’s flag consisted of fewer stripes, though the pattern was still the same, allowing the flag to display horizontally or vertically.

A New Jersey Congressman and Declaration of Independence signer, Francis Hopkinson is generally regarded as the designer of the original design for the US flag. Many believe that Hopkinson drew inspiration from the pattern used for the Sons of Liberty’s flag, establishing the striped design of the American flag known today. Betsy Ross, a Philadelphian seamstress who made flags for the Pennsylvania Navy, then sewed this design.

The current American flag consists of 13 alternating red and white stripes, representing the 13 original colonies. The 50 white stars against a blue field represent the 50 states. Additionally, each color of the American flag has meaning. Red stands for bravery and valor, white stands for innocence and purity, and blue defines perseverance, vigilance, and justice.
Racist! Isn’t that the narrative? I respect our flag, country, and what they are intended to represent! I’m saddened that our youth aren’t taught to respect it as we were.

Borrowed "Fly my flag every day. Lit up a night. Replace when tattered. Boy Scouts disposes of them properly. I still have the flag that covered my fathers casket."

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back